Acclimating a hen to the cold

Aimee6

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2020
Wisconsin
I will be adopting a new hen (Americana I think) in a few days and I'm very excited to add her to our flock of 5 hens! However, I've learned that the hen is brought inside the person's home at night, but put outside during the day. It is about a 6 month old hen, raised as a single chick, and was never accepted by their flock. My question is, should the hen be acclimated enough to the cold if it has been outside during the day? I can't imagine the change in temperature each night is good for the hen. :( Thanks for any advice and help.

Attachments

• IMG_2006.JPG
    IMG_2006.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 16
I would not worry about the temperature issue at all. Chickens manage a very large temperature swing. Saturday it was 63 degree, today it was 23, and up and down in between, tomorrow we get snow. Chickens manage a much larger swing that we do.

I WOULD worry about adding a chicken that has never lived in a flock to an established flock of birds that ALL will know this is a stranger. THAT is going to be a hard integration.

Mrs K

There is no way to know unless we know what temperature ranges you are talking about.
What is the day time temperature range the new hen has been held at and what is your night time temperature.

You will still need to quarantine the new hen before introduction to your flock.

If you can introduce a single bird, to the single bird, let them duke it out, and they will, but it will not be 6 against 1. Later add one more, now you are near equal numbers and should not be much problem at all.

There is no way to know unless we know what temperature ranges you are talking about.
What is the day time temperature range the new hen has been held at and what is your night time temperature.

You will still need to quarantine the new hen before introduction to your flock.
Oops - left out that minor detail! ;) I am in Wisconsin, so temps currently range from teens to 30s during the day, and single digits to 20s at night.

I would not worry about the temperature issue at all. Chickens manage a very large temperature swing. Saturday it was 63 degree, today it was 23, and up and down in between, tomorrow we get snow. Chickens manage a much larger swing that we do.

I WOULD worry about adding a chicken that has never lived in a flock to an established flock of birds that ALL will know this is a stranger. THAT is going to be a hard integration.

Mrs K
Thanks. I am just hoping this hen has all of her downy fluff to manage the cold. As far as integration - I will take any tips or advice. My plan is to do a few day "disease quarantine", then plan to keep the chicken in a separate pen but near our other hens for 2-4 weeks. She will also sleep in the same coop, but separated. Then, I will try a hen or two with the new hen and see how it goes. All of the hens are about the same age (6 months), so I'm hoping that will help with the integration. We just rehomed a rooster and I saw firsthand how that can go badly (the hens beat him up!). I plan to be very patient and do it very slowly.

Thanks. I am just hoping this hen has all of her downy fluff to manage the cold. As far as integration - I will take any tips or advice. My plan is to do a few day "disease quarantine", then plan to keep the chicken in a separate pen but near our other hens for 2-4 weeks. She will also sleep in the same coop, but separated. Then, I will try a hen or two with the new hen and see how it goes. All of the hens are about the same age (6 months), so I'm hoping that will help with the integration. We just rehomed a rooster and I saw firsthand how that can go badly (the hens beat him up!). I plan to be very patient and do it very slowly.
Wow I wish you the best of luck! I think you have a solid plan up until adding hens a few at a time. I’m leaning toward putting her on the roost at night with the rest of the flock and just ripping the bandaid off (after her look dont touch period). There will be bullying for sure! It hopefully after a week things will settle down.

If you can introduce a single bird, to the single bird, let them duke it out, and they will, but it will not be 6 against 1. Later add one more, now you are near equal numbers and should not be much problem at all.
Thank you. Yes, I think this is what I will try for an introduction so as not to overwhelm the poor thing. I hope I can get her to integrate with the others - it seems so sad for a chicken to live without a flock. I am reading that it can be difficult to socialize a chicken that was raised alone, but I think this is her best shot - with 5 other hens that are the same age. (crossing fingers!)

Back
Top Bottom