Acclimating pullets to new coop

KarynVA

Crowing
May 29, 2020
SW Virginia
After a year of no chickens, I am finally going to pick up several pullets from a nearby farm store to keep in my small backyard coop. I know when I have raised them from chicks and when they are ready for the coop, I keep them inside the coop for about 5 days before letting them into the run so they know the coop is 'home' and they will go inside at the coop when the sun goes down.

Should I do the same for these 18-week old pullets? I'm not sure what their living conditions were before I get them from the farm store, but probably an industrial chicken farm type of environment. Should I keep them inside the coop for 5 days before letting them into the attached run? The coop has a door and ramp that leads down into the small run that includes a shaded area underneath the coop. I keep food and water in the coop, as well as water in the run area during the summer.

I’ve never had to do a full five. Mine get like two locked up and they’ve gotten the idea and homed in at that point. Assuming they aren’t huge birds in a tiny coop I can’t see it being an issue. But five just seems like a lot. Keep an eye on them, they’ll be fine

After a year of no chickens, I am finally going to pick up several pullets from a nearby farm store to keep in my small backyard coop. I know when I have raised them from chicks and when they are ready for the coop, I keep them inside the coop for about 5 days before letting them into the run so they know the coop is 'home' and they will go inside at the coop when the sun goes down.

Should I do the same for these 18-week old pullets? I'm not sure what their living conditions were before I get them from the farm store, but probably an industrial chicken farm type of environment. Should I keep them inside the coop for 5 days before letting them into the attached run? The coop has a door and ramp that leads down into the small run that includes a shaded area underneath the coop. I keep food and water in the coop, as well as water in the run area during the summer.
Is the run covered so they can’t get out? If so, I’d let them be in both, the coop and run. You will probably need to go out each evening for a few days and move them to the coop to teach them. Dont wait til it’s completely dark. At dusk, either lure them in with treats or physically move them. Placing a light in the coop for them to gravitate to as it gets dark will help also.

Is the run covered so they can’t get out? If so, I’d let them be in both, the coop and run. You will probably need to go out each evening for a few days and move them to the coop to teach them. Dont wait til it’s completely dark. At dusk, either lure them in with treats or physically move them. Placing a light in the coop for them to gravitate to as it gets dark will help also.
I would say keep them in the coop for the two days. Not the run. It’ll save a lot of hastle in the long run.

Thanks, everyone. Here is how it turned out. I moved them into the coop at around 10 am Tuesday morning. I kept them in the coop all Tuesday and then this morning (Wednesday), I let them into the covered run.

They were not all that eager to go out. I let them go out at their leisure, and they spent the entire day in the run with short breaks in the coop for food. As the sun was going down tonight, they all went into the coop on their own and started roosting for the night. I closed the coop just now with all three safely inside.

So far, so good! I hope tomorrow night goes as well as today and it looks like they know where home is and how to roost at dusk, so, yay!

Back
Top Bottom