Acclimating to Outdoors

Dec 17, 2023
Alabama
Any tips to getting 5 week old chicks acclimated to outdoors? Back in the day I would get them much later in the spring so it was fine to just put them out. Temps are currently high 50s- low 60s during the day and low 50s-Mid 40s at night. Would you just put them out during the day and bring them back in for another week and then leave them when they hit 6 weeks?

A week of acclimation as you described is the safe route. Keep an eye on them the first day or two to make sure that they're not stressed by the temperature change. They should be okay as they can handle those temps fine if they were raised outdoors, but no need to rush them either.

A week of acclimation as you described is the safe route. Keep an eye on them the first day or two to make sure that they're not stressed by the temperature change. They should be okay as they can handle those temps fine if they were raised outdoors, but no need to rush them either.
They've been raised indoors. I've got 40 chicks in the house😆😂🤪the oldest set are going to hit 6 weeks mid next week (9 of them)....they are almost fully feathered. I was going off that more than anything. I've got a lady picking up 4 out of the 9 sometime next week and she asked if they'd be ready to go out and I told her I'd keep them until I was confident they'd be fine as she doesn't have a set up for young chicks.

Back
Top Bottom