Accurite Thermometer

amos58

Chirping
12 Years
Dec 9, 2007
I have the accurite in the incubator, it has in, out and humidity, which temp am I suppose to use, the in is about a degree or two higher than the out?
Thank you

I just bought the same one for myself today! The "in" temp what the base unit is reading from the vent in the bottom (this is also where the humidity is being read from). The "out" temp is what the probe tip is at. If there is a difference in height of where the two readings are being made, this would explain the difference in your temps. I put the probe in a water wiggler so that the "out" temp approximates what the temp would be inside an egg. Good luck!

Thank you, that answers my question, where can I find a water wiggler? I notice you are from Mass and I am from NH so we kind of have the same stores around. Would anything else work beside that wiggler?
Diane

Would anything else work beside that wiggler?

An egg-shaped ball of modelling clay works well.

I've used both and prefer the wiggler, but the clay does sit nicely in the egg-turner.​

I have some silly putty with its egg container, would that work? Do I put the probe inside the putty and into the egg, then lay it on the wire???
Thanks
Diane

Last edited:
I like the water wiggler, simply because the water will better simulate the inside of an egg and will more accurately mimic the egg's ability to hold it's temperature (due to more similar physical properties). I borrowed my daughter's water wiggler, which she got at an iparty store. Other members have mentioned finding them in the cheap toys aisle at Walmart or the dollar store. I went to our local Walmart and Dollar Tree yesterday and did not find them. The dollar store said they usually carry them. It's kind of hit or miss. You could make your own by filling a zip baggie with water and smushing it into a paper cup or something. Place the probe inside whatever you decide to use and put it at the same height as your eggs (on top of turner if you are using one; on the wire bottom if you are not).

I have some silly putty with its egg container, would that work? Do I put the probe inside the putty and into the egg, then lay it on the wire???

Yes ...... The main issue is the density of the *replica* egg. Water is very close to a real egg, whereas modelling clay is more dense, and silly putty probably less dense.

The results from either will be useful, as the thermal mass helps stabilize the temps. On the other hand, I prefer the wiggler for a reason
smile.png

Perhaps a ball of clay inside the wiggler would be best. That would simulate a developing chick inside an egg! And you can increase the size of the clay ball each week!
lol.png

Last edited:
Perhaps a ball of clay inside the wiggler would be best. That would simulate a developing chick inside an egg! And you can increase the size of the clay ball each week! lol

hehe

You know, you could stick a probe into an egg, seal it with silicone and put it in the incubator.

OTOH, wigglers have proven to be very effective.​

Back
Top Bottom