Acidified Copper Sulfate-Okay for Entire Flock?

CluckinUP

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Earlier this week, I discovered one of my girls, E, has canker. No one else seems to have it. E is on day two of Metronidazole 250 mgs. I ordered Acidified Copper Sulfate which should arrive early next week. From what I've read, 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water, should be the only source of water for 3 days. Is this correct? Also, can this be the source of water for the entire flock for 3 days, even if they don't have canker? Thanks in advance for your input.

You will not be mixing the blue copper sulfate pentahydrate crystals directly into the drinking water, nor must the crystals in their dry form be anywhere near your chickens. You must take care not to breath any dust from them as they are extremely caustic. Wash off if any contact your skin. In the dry form copper sulfate is a dangerous substance.

However, mixed into water in the proper proportions, it is very safe. But first it's necessary to mix up a stock solutionwhich you will use to treat the drinking water.

Stock solution (You will need to convert to Metric)

1/2 cup copper sulfate crystals
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 quart water

Allow an hour for the crystals to completely dissolve.

This stock solution will be used to add to the flock's drinking water at the following proportions (notice that it takes very little copper sulfate solution to treat water.) 1 1/2 teaspoons of stock solution in 2 quarts of water. This is what you will give the chickens to drink the same as they always drink water. Yes, it's safe for all the flock.

You will not be mixing the blue copper sulfate pentahydrate crystals directly into the drinking water, nor must the crystals in their dry form be anywhere near your chickens. You must take care not to breath any dust from them as they are extremely caustic. Wash off if any contact your skin. In the dry form copper sulfate is a dangerous substance.

However, mixed into water in the proper proportions, it is very safe. But first it's necessary to mix up a stock solutionwhich you will use to treat the drinking water.

Stock solution (You will need to convert to Metric)

1/2 cup copper sulfate crystals
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 quart water

Allow an hour for the crystals to completely dissolve.

This stock solution will be used to add to the flock's drinking water at the following proportions (notice that it takes very little copper sulfate solution to treat water.) 1 1/2 teaspoons of stock solution in 2 quarts of water. This is what you will give the chickens to drink the same as they always drink water. Yes, it's safe for all the flock.
Just to confirm, this is to make copper sulphate into acified copper sulphate, would not add acv if already acified copper sulphate? How long does mixture last?

Back
Top Bottom