ACK, 3 and a half hour Chicken Chase!!!

baltimoreharps

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Cabarrus Co.
That is IT!! The Buff Orpington is NEVER coming out of the tractor ever again!!!
barnie.gif

I will also never, EVER make the mistake of leaving the ladder down when cleaning the coop that's upstairs. Lesson learned there:he

She's been the one to always not want to follow the flock and wants to go off on her own. Today was a nightmare because while she was an easy catch the last few times that we've free ranged, she's been the last one in the door and now she's decided she doesn't want to go back in at all unless it suits her.
It was bad enough yesterday getting her back in but now, she's a total nutcase when it comes to anyone getting near her. No one's scared her by grabbing at her, etc. You get within 3 feet of her and she freaks out, running, squawking, etc..
D.gif

No amount of treats helped, and neither did herding, so she's into the tractor indefinately until she learns a sense of calm and learns to stay with the flock.

I'm beynd frustrated with her right now and she's lucky she didn't end up in the cook pot tonight as mad as I was earlier during all of this.
tongue.gif

Anyone else have a rogue chicken that doesn't like to be a part of the flock??

yeah, my girl just goes off by her self all the time, but I think she does it because she is the smallest one Ihave and she gets picked on, but they free range and come and go as the please so I have never had an dissue about a chase but I do not think that I would like it..... smells chicken soup
wink.png

I call mine Scarlet. She is a Bantam Mutt that I got from someone free. She hopes fences, gates and anything else. I have never collected a egg of hers yet, because I never can find them until she decides to set and then I go hunting. As I write this, she is on 9 eggs that are up in the hay loft that is 12 feet off of the barn floor and she gets up there in one try every time. Unfortunately, she has never let a rooster catch her, so her eggs have yet to be fertile. I just let her set. Keeps her out of trouble.

I'm glad that I'm not alone in this!!
wee.gif

This hen is a layer and in a chicken tractor but I was never SO close to making a chicken dinner in my life than this am!
Blondie's the number 3 in the pecking order of 5 and one of the larger girls so she has no issues about that, she is just being onery and independant and frustrating and aggrivating and she is SO done with letting her out for a while.

Dh wasn't here, so the kiddos and I had to try to get her back in the tractor and now, of course, I did it all wrong according to him.
roll.png

I can feel a rant coming on so I'll stop now.
duc.gif

For awhile I had trouble getting a couple of my chickens back into the coop too. It was indeed infuriating! I have since gotten wise, and now entice them with treats (mainly BOSS and mealworms). Now all my girls come running to me and hop right up into the coop!
smile.png
(Proving true the adage, you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.)

Good luck!

aye!!!! yeah that sucks to have a hen do that. Sometimes they go through a difficult teenage stage. If you have some time, quietly holding her and if she resists this- more firmly so she cannot struggle and gently just talk calmly and stroke her until she enjoys it- usually they like their necks, wattles, head and breast rubbed and the middle of the back. Then only letting her out close to dusk when you know she'll have to get back in for night time to start testing how she's handling. good luck with the rogue hen.

Back
Top Bottom