Ack! I am freaking out! quail and chicken eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsengeseth, Feb 10, 2009.

1. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

I checked my eggs at lunch and they were fine. But a minute ago when I went to trun them, the bator therm was over 110!!! I cracked three quail eggs and one chicken and they weren't moving, but that could be because i cracked open the eggs...right? No moving when i candled BEFORE cracking the eggs...do you think they are all dead?? I can't afford to replace em all [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    They should be moving, but dont crack any more open! what day are you on, its hard to say if they are dead but I would give them a chance.

3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG]

Oh I hope everything is okay

4. mrsengeseth

I am on day 12. I didn't crack them till I was sure nobody inside was moving. The clear stuff inside was cloudy and the shells were what'd I would describe as hot. The temporal thermometer I have registered the eggshells at "HI" which is anything 108 and above, before i cracked em open. I have seven chicken eggs left, and 37 quail. Do I go ahead and incubate as normal, or do I toss the whole bunch. Is there any hope at all that they didn't cook in the excessive heat (my two mercury thermometers top out at 110 and they were maxed. ) I know they werent that hot at 1pm. It's 530 ish, and i am unsure how long they have been that hot. Any hope?

5. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    I would continue to incubate. You just never know.......[​IMG] good luck hatching vibes coming down there to you

6. mrsengeseth

Alright. So theres hope, huh? I really really want these boogers to hatch. [​IMG]

7. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    If it only pasted a few minutes max, I would continue as if itdidnt happen, candle around day 14, if no movement, then begin to worry

8. mr.majestik

mr.majestik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    GA
    I have one that tops that. 118 degrees 5-6hrs on day 20 with Bobwhite quail. They are probably toast. Bummer.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  9. mrsengeseth

I candled one egg this morning and it had a red glow to it, couldn't make out any masses at all inside.

10. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    If you cannot afford more eggs, then there's no point in tossing them, especially with no more eggs lined up to go in after these. I had a heat spike (108 I think) and my batch didn't hatch. I didn't have anything else to put in it though. If they had been your own laid eggs, I'd say to toss them, but, since they were purchased (or so I assume), give them a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by