Ack! I am freaking out! quail and chicken eggs

mrsengeseth

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Colorado...but home is Maine
I checked my eggs at lunch and they were fine. But a minute ago when I went to trun them, the bator therm was over 110!!! I cracked three quail eggs and one chicken and they weren't moving, but that could be because i cracked open the eggs...right? No moving when i candled BEFORE cracking the eggs...do you think they are all dead?? I can't afford to replace em all
barnie.gif

hit.gif

I am on day 12. I didn't crack them till I was sure nobody inside was moving. The clear stuff inside was cloudy and the shells were what'd I would describe as hot. The temporal thermometer I have registered the eggshells at "HI" which is anything 108 and above, before i cracked em open. I have seven chicken eggs left, and 37 quail. Do I go ahead and incubate as normal, or do I toss the whole bunch. Is there any hope at all that they didn't cook in the excessive heat (my two mercury thermometers top out at 110 and they were maxed. ) I know they werent that hot at 1pm. It's 530 ish, and i am unsure how long they have been that hot. Any hope?

If it only pasted a few minutes max, I would continue as if itdidnt happen, candle around day 14, if no movement, then begin to worry

I have one that tops that. 118 degrees 5-6hrs on day 20 with Bobwhite quail. They are probably toast. Bummer.

Last edited:
If you cannot afford more eggs, then there's no point in tossing them, especially with no more eggs lined up to go in after these. I had a heat spike (108 I think) and my batch didn't hatch. I didn't have anything else to put in it though. If they had been your own laid eggs, I'd say to toss them, but, since they were purchased (or so I assume), give them a chance.

Back
Top Bottom