ACK my dogs really really want to eat the chickens

neVar

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Dundurn, Sask
OK i ws understanding with the 2 week old slkies- they peep and look like squeeky toys. but today brought home bg polish guys- and you'd thnk i had some steak sitting n the kennel.

*Sigh* i was not really thinking they'd be this into them considerng I have parrots and they just ignore them.

they hve settled down bout the lil chcks (who re sleeping t night n my closet. but boy are they sure excited over the new guys

I need my coop done. 'm not worried about predtors now but bout my own dogs (who re never outside unless we're home. They are all show/performance dogs

My dog only cares about my chickens when they do their crazy flap dance when I first let them out in the morning.

He ALWAYS wants to get new birds until they've stop peeping. I think he thinks they are squeaky toys until they stop!!

Peeping, cheeping, flighty, spastic chicks are perfectly understandable as being droolicious - they DO resemble squeeky toys. As for the polish - hopefully that's just because its new. It takes a while, exposure and teaching - to let the dogs know that they're YOURS and part of your pack. I didn't trust my dane around my chicks AT ALL - he would literally stand there and quiver/drool while watching them. But now that they're a few months old (not cheeping and spastic anymore), I trust him (unsupervised) with all the chickens, big and little.

Thought I was going to have trouble with my Golden,for 12 years he was requested to retreive waterfowl. How can I explain to him these are not what you were asked to do for all these years. I had a couple of times where he tried to grab them but now they walk right by him within 6" and he could care less.

Got the same problem with my Parsons Russell Terrorist.... *sigh* Two days ago he tried to bite my Black Copper Maran's head off...

I have a Cocker Spaniel mix. As in woodcock. My 2 brown hens look deliciously like woodcocks, I'm sure. The first time she saw them, she lay down and trembled, staring at them. She's getting better about them, but I don't know if I could ever trust her with them.
sad.png

Well they were a bit better. I have an aussie (lots of prey drive aussies are great gopher hunters) and a Danish Farm dog (Bred for rodent control and a bit of herding/farm work). This morning they were much better- right now the Polish are in a large dog kennel up in the coop (which isn't finished- but hopefully will be constructed enough for this weekend for these guys to move in

Eventually i'm going to have the side yard fenced off from the back yard- to keep the dogs out of the area completely (as in later this summer). but boy i sure didn't expect this reaction from em! The aussie has done herding on ducks- NO Issues!

Back
Top Bottom