Acting dizzy & stumbling for a short time

sn0wwhite

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2013
MN
I don't think this is an emergency, but while moving my coop and run today to prepare for the new coop I'm going to build, I put some old potting soil into a lowered corner of the new run. Just really nice black dirt with a bit of those white vermiculite balls in it. The 3 hens came and took a really thorough dust/dirt bath in it, and then the BO and EE started acting all drunk and stumbly. The BA seemed fine. This lasted only about 15 or 20 minutes and now everyone seems fine.

What happened? Should I be worried? I have since put sand on top of everything.

Good question. I can tell you that the dirt was in a pot that I put out at the cemetery 2 years ago, but the plant died and so the pot and dirt has just been sitting in my back yard for about 2 years and there hasn't been anything put on it for the last 2 years.

Not sure what's going on, but if they are just fine now I wouldn't stress over it. Sounds vaguely like they had a short exposure to something that affected their neuro. system, probably in the soil - but I'm just guessing. Perhaps' someone else can be more helpful. Sue

Back
Top Bottom