Acting Lethargic & Weird Neck Motions

She had weight loss, stopped eating, drank very little, was lethargic, low energy, stopped laying, and had diarrhea.

Low appetite, pecking at food but not really eating is another symptom of cancer. Weight loss is evident by the protruding keel bone. Edema of the wattles and comb, can cause them to feel hard.

Hi everyone, I would like to firstly say thank ya'll for taking the time to provide me with information and advice.

Unfortunately, I am not having any luck with vets, and now it's the weekend making it more difficult. It is starting to seem like the symptoms of a Tumour and Anemia are describing what my silkie is going through.

Today's Update:

• I have managed to assess her poo, which is a very bright green colour (see attached below), she squats very low and does a hard push when she expels it.
  • She does a hard heavy gulp motion around three times every 10 mins.
  • Still not eating much and still yet to see her drink.
  • Her crop is basically empty with very little food in it, her body weight is also becoming more concerning as she feels so bony and extremely light. I still can not feel any swelling anywhere on her body.

If it is a tumour and I still have no luck with vets, what do ya'll suggest I do for her? I adore my chickens as pets too and I want to make sure she is as comfortable as possible.

Todays Poo:

IMG_6037.JPG
IMG_6041.JPG

Older poo:

IMG_6040.JPG
IMG_6039.JPG

Kind Regards,
SKKreativ.

Are these very scant poops? It helps to place a ruler or recognizable coin next to things so we have scale.

Scant green poops are typical of a sick chicken that no longer wishes to eat. When it gets to this point, I assess the situation. If I believe it's an infection I'm treating, I tube feed until the chicken gains strength and begins to show signs of recovering. If an antibiotic is going to have any chance of being effective, a chicken must be getting some nourishment to aid the process.

When it becomes obvious a chicken is not being helped by an antibiotic, and I often will try as many as three different ones, and continues to get worse and weaker, I euthanize.

The youngest chicken I've had to euthanize was an eleven-month old cockerel. I sent his body to the state ag lab for necropsy. He had been suffering from cancer on his liver, which weighed a whopping two pounds, and tumors on heart and kidneys, as well. That's when I learned my flock carries the leucosis virus. Other very young chickens have sickened from these leucosis caused tumors since then, and had to be euthanized.

The latest hen to have such cancerous tumors was around six, and I found them after I opened her up after euthanizing her after trying to treat her for crop disorders.

Greetings SKKreativ,

I agree with azygous. The chicken is not going to eat when they are feeling ill. In order for them to have the strength to fight what is ailing them, they must have nourishment. A combination of diet, medication, supplements, and supportive care will give the chicken a good chance for recovery.

Diet:
If the hen is not eating her feed, try and feed her a balanced meal of: cooked brown rice (or other cooked grains), cooked ground or minced turkey, beef, or pork, cooked frozen vegetables, finely chopped fresh greens, diced fresh fruit, coconut meat or dried, unsweetened chips. You'll have to try different things, to see what she'll eat. It's better if she eats on her own. Just keep the meals balanced.

If the hen won't eat at all, you will have to feed the hen manually. A liquid meal replacement can be used, then, additional supplements like: vitamins, coconut oil to increase caloric value, healing and immune system herbs, etc. I believe that additional vitamins and healing herbs are essential, when a hen is in critical condition. You can purchase liquid meal replacement for baby birds at a pet store or online. I prefer to use Hemp Protein powder for a meal replacement. Or, you can make your own by pureeing some feed in the blender with water, till smooth. Pour through a strainer. Then, fill a 10 mL oral syringe. The chicken will need at least 40-50 mL, per day. You can also tube feed into the crop, if you know how to do this.

Medication:
If the hen has a tumor I will administer a 10 day course of broad spectrum antibiotic, (Enrofloxacin or Doxycycline) to assist the compromised immune system. Also, if there is an infection present, that could have caused her symptoms, an antibiotic will take care of that. Many tumors are slow growing, but, because they compromise the immune system, an infection will develop.

Supplements:
Next, I can tell you with certainty - by looking at the color of the hen's urate, the liver needs support! Yellow urates are an indicator of liver stress and/or damage. Disease is the usual cause. She needs a Milk Thistle supplement, immediately. I use Liquid Hepato for Pets. It has Milk Thistle, and B vitamins. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in Australia. A vet may be able to sell you a product.
liquid hepato.jpg

For suspected anemia, a vitamin supplement with iron, is indeed beneficial. Iron supplement is warranted for hens with blood loss from injury, tissue damage, tumors, etc. It is generally used till the chicken shows improvement in color, or energy. It is not intended for long term use. I use Pet-Tinic, which is a multi vitamin and iron formula. I give .6 mL, twice a day, for a 4-6 pound hen, usually for no more than 7-10 days, for critically ill chickens. But, only 2-3 days for sprains and such injuries.
pet tinic 2.jpg

Herbs and natural healing:
For possible tumors, I use Ashwagandha powder. This herb has anti-tumor activity. It is also anti-inflammatory, so the chicken will feel better if it has any pain. It also supports the immune system. One of the best herbs I have ever used in my sick chickens. Initially, the critically sick hen should be given 400 mg. per day. Sprinkle the herb on food if the hen is eating. It can also be mixed into a liquid meal replacement. After full recovery, a maintenance dose of 200 mg. should be given, for at least 6 months.

Echinacea powder, will stimulate the immune system. It can be added to meals with other herbs.

Coconut Oil, is essential for the sick chicken. Besides adding calories, coconut oil aids digestion, supports liver health, is anti-inflammatory, just to name a few of the benefits. It should be part of the healing regimen. It can be melted and added to the feed, and/or liquid meal replacement. Solid chips can also be fed directly to the chicken.

Colloidal Silver can also be used during infection and to assist the immune system. It will boost the effectiveness of an antibiotic. You can purchase it at any health food store. Strengths of 10-20 ppm, 20-30 ppm and up are sold. I use an 1100 ppm solution, that is extremely dense, so I dilute it with water. I lasts me years. Lower strengths can be used undiluted. Just put 5-10 drops into a gallon of water for drinking. Or, one drop of a 20-30 ppm, into a liquid meal replacement, once a day.

Good supportive care:
The critically ill chicken should be in a comfortable hospital crate. This will enable you to provide care, control her environment, and monitor her eating and drinking, during her recovery. I use a wire dog crate, puppy pads for absorbing moisture, and a grass mat.
PICT0001.JPG

When the chicken shows improvement, a little exercise pen can be set up outdoors.
PICT0040.JPG

A comfort hen or even a stuffed toy chicken, can be used to prevent depression.
PICT0015.JPG

If it is cold where you are, the hen needs additional warmth. I have had much improvement with the addition of red light therapy. A simple RED brooder bulb can be used, it will provide the red light spectrum needed to stimulate cells, and provide welcomed warmth. When a chicken is sick the metabolism slows, causing the core temperature to lower. Use a temperature gauge in the crate to monitor the temperature.

If you are going to be gone for long periods of time, play some soft music, but not too loud. Music really does calm and soothe chickens, especially when they are ill.

Signs of impending death
Sometimes, no matter how much you do to help the ailing chicken, they will still die. This is the really hard part of chicken keeping, that all keepers will experience.

When a hen is dying, and there is no improvement, the hen sleeps the majority of the day. I chose to bring them inside, and I set up an area next to the patio door, it is bright and sunny there. My chair is nearby. When I see them showing signs of impending death: spreading wings, unable to stand, going flat on the ground, struggling to breath, crying, or flapping wings, I will quickly wrap them in a towel and hold them firmly while they pass away.

Some hens simply die at night and are found in the morning.

Your hen is in critical condition by my observation. But, there is still a chance for her. Do all you can, be consistent, set up a routine of care that is convenient for you. Caring for sick chickens is tiring, so get your rest. Don't burn yourself out.

Well, this is my contribution. I don't want to overwhelm you, take one day at a time.You may not be able to do everything, just do what you can. Caring for sick chickens, is also dependent on the keepers resources and time.

I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless and peace to you. :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I already have given her antibiotics for the past two days, since I already had the medication. I will definitely try to follow your advice and implement the other medications you provided.

I have been stressing with trying to get a vet, everything has failed. Even two 24/7 emergency vet hospitals have said they cannot help me. Looks like I will have to tackle this myself and make sure my hen is as comfortable as possible.

Hi everyone,

I thought I would make another update to let everyone know the outcome.

Unfortunately I have bad news, my beautiful hen Dahlia was suffering for so long and she kept deteriorating to the point where she was really struggling to breath. I couldn’t bare to watch her be in so much pain anymore, I had to make the painful decision to have her euthanised. She passed peacefully and is no longer in pain. Dahlia is no longer here with us in present, however, her soul will always be in my heart. ❤️

Once again thank you all so much for the help and advice.

Regards,
SKKreativ

Back
Top Bottom