Acting weird.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by susiestozz, May 7, 2009.

1. susiestozz

susiestozz Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    [​IMG]

Okay, I have an idea what broody chicks do cos one of our magpies went through it last year. We thought we'd lost her then found her under the upturned wheelbarrow sat on 9 eggs! But the same chicken and her sister magpie are now both acting weird.

We have 4 chickens = 4 eggs/day but recently down to 2 and today only 1 egg (not even sure which little girl is laying even!). The two magpies stay in the coop all day, sometimes sat on an egg in the morning but once they have been removed they just SIT there doing nothing. (I remove the eggs every morning)

I have to lift them out for them to feed and drink and they go back in straight away afterwards. If I lock them all out of the run for a while to roam the garden the magpies start prowling around the fence perimeter looking anxious and desperate to get back in after a few minutes. They will even retreat to a corner of the fencing and sit on the grass waiting. They fluff themselves up constantly.

If they are broody, why aren't they sat on eggs? Do you think they could be eggbound? This has been going on for nearly 2 weeks now with no sign of it stopping. But they are eating and drinking.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    They will sit like that as long as they can get back to the nest. Hens will sit on golfballs, whatever, even the empty nest. They are birdbrains, after all. [​IMG] If you keep them away from the nest for a few days, that should break them from sitting.

3. susiestozz

May 7, 2009
    Okay thanks for that - I will try and keep them away from the nest, like I did today, but they still hanker after going back. What puzzles me is they are just sitting on an empty nest, all day. I could understand it if they were sat on eggs hmmmm.............

4. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Hi there! So glad you were able to post this. I'm sorry about your little chickens. I can't really help, but agree with juliechick that they are just needing to be broken from their broodiness. Good luck.

5. susiestozz

May 7, 2009
    Hello! Yes thanx for your help in getting started.[​IMG]

Yes I do think perhaps they ARE broody but never thought they get broody without eggs to sit on...................and they are always together................. just seems strange they are broody at the same time too............oh well..............!! I shall persevere!

6. Belgian Lady

Belgian Lady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2009
    White, Ga
    Why don't you get some hatching eggs and give them some to set.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by