Active hen suddenly won't move or open eyes

I mean her bad leg. They both flinch when I poke them. Below is a picture of her sitting. Not sure what other picture angle would help.

So her leg is deformed backwards? Or broken and it set that way... If it broke, there would be a lump where it broke and reset, where the bone juts out wrong. She could have hit it or bumped it hard, causing her extreme pain. Are there any areas where you can see or feel that? If you feel it, she will probably jerk from the pain of you touching it.

Her leg was bad when I bought her a couple years ago. It's like it is twisted under. She walks more on her joint and leg because her toes don't lay normal. She is usually able to lift her leg and she flexes and stretches her toes. She must have broken it when she was a part of a breeding group or something. The only lump that I feel is right up by the knee joint. It's like a little knob on the inside of the joint. That had always been there. She must have tried to jump up the steps when I wasn't watching and hurt it.

I got her to save her from a bad breeding situation and give her a good life. I don't want her to suffer. I have her in her bed now, I don't want to bother her anymore tonight. The good news is, is that she is responsive now. I thought she was not gonna make it earlier. She was unresponsive for over two hours.

I had a silkie chick with a vaulted skull, which means they have a large lump on their head, and if it gets bumped it can kill them. He whacked his head in the incubator, and did the same thing. I think it's shock to pain. They get hurt and it kinda temporarily paralyzes them I guess.

I hope she's better in the morning. Thank you to all that responded. It's great to know that there are so many people willing to share their expertise and experiences.

I hope she's better in the morning. Thank you to all that responded. It's great to know that there are so many people willing to share their expertise and experiences.

You're Welcome! I love this site because there are things I don't know about chickens, and I can always find someone within an hour or two to help me. And if I know something someone else doesn't, I tell them about my experience with it, and try to help them through it. Hope she feels better in the morning!

I just woke up to check on her, she died. I hope she wasn't in pain. Thanks to everyone again for their help

Condolences for your loss. The special ones are hard to lose.

With the description and photos from the leg, there are so many things it might have been based from her early life causes to recent trauma. A necropsy might shed light if you desire to know what took her.

Sorry again for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom