Active poultry photo contest

Alex I am a huge fan of your photos. Great work again!
Thank you so much!
hugs.gif
That means a lot to me.
smile.png

~Alex

This little guy melted my heart! He is adorable
love.gif
Thank you! He kinda broke our hearts turning into a boy! We hatched some bantam eggs under our broody bantams 3 months ago and he was our first chick to hatch, hatching at the same time as my new niece was born, so we really wanted to keep him. He was also a cross (the breeder I got the eggs off was very embarrassed but we found him a home). His mother was a partridge pekin (cochin) bantam and his father must have been a young silver duckwing leghorn. He was very cute, short and dumpy with fluffy legs, but had more of the leghorn personality than the pekin. He was also crowing from 6 weeks old which made him a bit easier to give up.

We indulged our broody bantam and gave her some newly hatched Orpington chicks. She is loving being a Mum again (but will probably have had enough by week 5). They are so funny and climb all over her much more than the bantam chicks ever did. I've managed to get a couple of action shots of one chick in particular that our 5 year old son named Greeny.

This was one epic fail to jump on Pixie's back - it's amazing how tough they are!

And here's Greeny preparing for take-off (it was more of a slippery slide off Pixie's back)! I'd put the heat lamp on to help Pixie out as she's only little and there are 6 of them which is why the light is a little red (it's winter where we are so I'm being a bit paranoid about keeping them all warm enough).

Thought this contest needed more entries (and I spend way too much time taking photos of chicks not to share some).

Our little black (or maybe really dark blue) Orpington chick (I'm thinking its a boy
sad.png
) having a dust bath on the (rather wet) gravel driveway.

Here is our old Nana of a cat, Lily (who would never hurt a baby chick), about to be kung fu'd by Pixie, the Wonder Mum (OEGB).

Back
Top Bottom