Actual amount of Lumber...4'x8' coop. please help...

gogoalie

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Alaska
Am designing a 4'x8' coop, dual walled insulated, windowed & doored, 16" coded walls & floors. & Will need help on how much lumber I'll be needing. Likewise, should I go with Particle board, rather than plywood?

So far, my list includes:

Face:
2 4'x8'x1/2" Plywood/partboard
8 2"x4"x8' stud

Sides:

12 studs
8 Plywood/partboard

Rear:
2 Ply or partboard
8 studs

Roof Slanted:
3 2"x6"x8" stud
2 Ply or partwood

Floor:
2 3/4"ply/part
3 2x4x8' studs
2 2"x12"x16' Planks
On
3 4x4x4' treated lumber base

The framing for the door & the window will be minimal, & any cut outs for the door & window will be used towards that. I want to know, is will this be enouhg, & should I got T-111 on the exterior, & minus the plywood/partboard? (or cover the ply/part with T-111?).

Thanks, any help & addition or subtraction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am building my coop all on my own. DH just gives me advice. He recommended the T-111 instead of plywood - so did the guys at Home Depot and Lowes. This is how it looked before I framed out the door and framed it in and changed the hinge and I've also tar-papered the roof and made a better ramp for them to get up and down on. I'm going to use corrugated galvanized metal for the roof - just like that look. I bought the primed T-111 because it was cheaper. Everyone said the plywood wouldn't last as long and since I was buying all new material - nothing just laying around for me too use - I went with that. I'd recommend you just use that and then if you need to insulate go from there. I may insulate it this fall but some say it's not necessary. I'll probably do it tho'. I'm not sure if you were to use plywood and then the T-111 if that would offer some insulating properties. Someone with real construction skills hopefully will chime in. I used a bit more lumber than I planned for but I'm really proud of myself that it doesn't look like some ole shack (which i think is what everyone thought it would look like). Good Luck -

oh - having outside nesting boxes is a great idea. I altered my plans for that.
61821_img_0956.jpg

Take a look at my coop page - mine is 4x8, and I have a materials list on the page. I did use plywood, but I am not sure it will hold up as well as the T-111 blackbird13 recommends, plus the t-111 looks more like siding.
I also took a lot of tips from Cluckingham palace's page which is the same size - there is more than one by that name, this one is the first photo on the chicken tractor page.

Back
Top Bottom