Actual olive egger egg colour?

Concerning egg color...just a heads up, not Olive Eggers will lay green eggs.
There is a chance you can get brown eggs as well. I have five and my fingers
are crossed that all five will lay green eggs when the time comes, but I'm
fully aware that I might get brown as well.

If it's a first generation cross between blue egg and brown egg breeds then they'll definitely lay a green or olive egg. But when crossing a brown egger back to the f1 olive egger then part of the chicks will lay a darker olive egg(f2 olive egger) and half will lay brown.

If it's a first generation cross between blue egg and brown egg breeds then they'll definitely lay a green or olive egg. But when crossing a brown egger back to the f1 olive egger then part of the chicks will lay a darker olive egg(f2 olive egger) and half will lay brown.
Sorry to be all picky, but it's important to remember that each f1 x brown chick has a 50% chance of being either a dark olive or a brown layer. You may end up with all green, part green, or all brown layers. May the odds be ever in your favor.
I've just placed some blue X Olive eggs in the incubator, the charts say spearmint color, but we'll see!

Not much more to add except that as a previous poster mentioned, the darker brown egg coloring of the parent helps achieve that nice, deep olive. We have a Marans/OE cross. You could try breeding one of your OE you're getting with a Marans someday :)

These are some photos off of Google, can I hope for anything like these? I just have a nagging feeling that these might be one offs rather than the norm. Obviously it depends on parents though, but just as a rough idea.
To get eggs like your Google pictures best to cross a pure bred dark brown to a pure bred blue. We had success with BCM x Araucana. We used award winning eggs from a breeder who often got first prize for colour within the breed it was representing.

I wish you all the success, let us know how you do!

These are the olive eggs my hens ended up laying.
1FA1332B-179B-4393-B984-E4966726FA6F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom