ACV after advice

mrc1983

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 30, 2012
hi,
has any one used apple cider vinegar you can get in the super market? or does it have to be proper poultry ACV, or is it just the same?? bit confussed as the stuff in the super market is about 5 times cheaper than the stuff in most feed stores.
chears ian

welcome-byc.gif

The ACV from the the supermarket is perfectly fine for chickens. I use it myself. It isn't quite as good Bragg's ACV, but it still has lots of good properties to it that chickens benefit from. Plus, it's cheaper. The difference between what you get at the supermarket and Bragg's ACV is that Bragg's still has the mother in it. Both are beneficial. Besides the typically thought of benefits, ACV put in breeder birds' water can supposedly cause you to hatch more pullets than cockerels. I would like to test that out myself.
smile.png
ACV is good for the chickens' digestive tracts, has electrolytes that help on hot summer days, keeps slime down in the waterers, and more.

Last edited:
You want the ACV with the "mother" in it. It's usually in the organic section of the grocery store. 1 TBS per gallon of water. It helps keep the waterers from getting slimy too. Never use it in a metal waterer though - only plastic.

Yes the ACV with the "mother" is best but there are still tons of good nutrients and minerals and also keeps the slime out of your waterer.. Braggs is so expensive so if I only have regular that is what I use.

Back
Top Bottom