ACV ....found it in some threads ...thanks anyway

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pinkchick, Dec 26, 2008.

1. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I've seen some posts about Apple Cider Vinegar in the chickens water, what is it for?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    I would suppose it's for fleas, flies or ticks.

I know that in horses it's for flies, fleas, ticks and athritis.

That's all I know???? [​IMG]

3. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I was told to use it to prevent bacterial growth, etc in their water.

4. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Lots of vitamins. It does keep down the bacteria in tha water also. Good for digestion,at least in humans.

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    It also helps to break up congestion in birds. If any of my chickens begin to cough, sneeze, or sound wheezy, I add some ACV with the mother to their water and it does a good job of clearing it up. The mother is the sediment found in the bottom of the bottle when the vinegar is not over processed. I get mine, usually Bragg brand, at our local health food store.

6. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Taken from Braggs ACV site.

ACV contains more then 30 nutrients, dozens of minerals and over half a dozen vitamins and essential acids as well as several enzymes. It has a large dose of pectin which aids in keeping the heart healthy. It still remains to be effective for many uses and is an inexpensive, safe, and non toxic way to clean and safely disinfect your home as well as your aviary.

Recently I was reading an article on 60 ways to use ACV when I happened on one which stood out foremost in my mind. It was the addition of it to the water of chickens to increase egg production. It was then that I decided to start adding it, (raw unfiltered), to the drinking water of the birds in my aviary mainly for the health benefits as well as it being a safe antibacterial agent to help keep their water free from harmful bacteria and aid in their digestive system.

7. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    How much ACV do you put in a gallon of water for chickens??

8. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    I've also read that they absorb calcium better if their system is a bit acidic. I add 1 tablespoon ACV per gallon of water (when I remember!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by