Adams Shampoo Dosage

Lylene

Chirping
12 Years
Feb 11, 2007
I need to bathe some of my chickens for mites and scaley leg mites. We used ivermectin pour-on for cattle (1-2 drops, 3 times a week apart) last winter and thought we got them. Also malathion powder for the coop. Guess we missed some.
sad.png
Not sure where the mites came from. I never realized how easy it is to transmit parasites.

How much Adams Shampoo do I use? I have both standard and bantam. I poisoned one of my rats by using too much shampoo. Don't want to do the same here.

I don't have the spray but will try to get some either tomorrow or Monday. When you spray is it just a mist over the feathers or do you get down to skin?

Also, I saw a mention of injecting ivermectin. Can someone tell me the details on that?

What is the best way to treat for worms? How do you know if they have worms?

How do I keep the mites from running to the chickens' heads? That happened with the one I bathed yesterday. I wiped her face with mineral oil and put some on the skin and feathers where the mites had run to.

Any other suggestions, hints, etc. welcomed.

Thanks

Lylene

Mites and Lice are PESTS. They lay hatching eggs that reinfest the birds when they hatch. MITES are particularly nasty because they hop off the birds to HIDE and then hop back on for dinner.

I use the Adams flea and tick dip. I use the PLUS adams flea and tick dip. The PLUS is for an extra chemical that keeps the bugs away for a couple a while.

RE-TREAT every 7 - 10 days is the trick. If you re-treat too soon, The eggs won't have a chance to hatch, so you won't be killing them. If you re-treat too late, the newly hatched bugs will be old enough to lay more eggs. Use must RE-TREAT AND RE-TREAT on time. I TREAT and then RE-TREAT 2 additional times.

Dosage . . . . I use the weakest dosage possible with the dip. Unfortunately, all that information is outside. I think I used something like 1 capful to a five gallon bucket. . . .BUT I DON"T KNOW FOR SURE. I will look during the daylight hours today.

With the dip, you submerge them in water right up to their necks. It is done all at once. . . I don't think the mites have a chance to move / escape. I hold my birds floating in the water for about a minute. I use another hand under water to lift their feathers so that the water and adams can get everywhere.

WORMING: How do you know. . . . You can take a poo sample to a vet who is willing to analyze it. Just call around to local vets and see who is willing to do it.
With the naked eye you can see worms in the poo IF THE INFESTATION IS REALLY BAD! You may not see and probably won't see any worms with
the naked eye UNLESS the infestation is really bad.

I worm them twice a year just out of routine health care. My birds free range everyday and have access to all kinds of carriers of worms.

What to use - - - There are many discussions on this topic on BYC. Do a search and you will have more reading than you can believe.
The Ivomectin pour on that you used for the mites is a wormer too.

Math got it right. I will add that the life cycle of both lice/mites and worms is 10 days, so if you retreat in 10 days you should get them all in 2 treatments. I`ve always had great success with just dipping once with Adams dip. You can smell it on them for a month. Mix as per directions on the label. Make sure it`s a warm day and do it early so they get dry. Mix some fresh dip and spray the whole area where the chickens live. That means don`t forget the nests and roost. Soak it all real good. Have fun........Pop

I have the Shampoo, not the dip. There are no directions as to the amount to use, only how to use it. This is the Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo for Cats & Dogs. Apparently they no longer make the dog only shampoo, which is a bit strange. The other shampoos I've seen are either cat OR dog, not both.

Before I put her in the bucket, I rinsed her very thoroughly under plain running water in the tub. It was rather appalling to see all the eggs and mites coming off her. I did rinse her head but maybe the migration to her head and upper neck started then. Her face was just covered and there were some in her ears. I felt like sh*t.
sad.png

Thanks for the feedback.

Lylene

Something I didn't think to mention - we don't have warm days here until May. We've had snow in May. Last night a friend reported -8F. The high for today is supposed to be around 29F with a low of 9F tonight.

Maybe I'd be better off to wash the chickens in Dawn (and mineral oil for face) and use DE to keep them at bay. That way the mites won't work up an immunity. Then I can hit them hard when it warms up. At that time they can be kicked out of their coops so the coops can be completely treated. I have to get some more electrolyte powder and vitamins. I started running fat trimmed off at the butcher through my meat grinder. The absolutely love that. They also get lots of goodies and some liver that has also been run through the grinder.

It would be a lot of work but I could oil down their legs every other night. One coop one night, other coop the next. The ones that are really bad can be soaked and scrubbed and then oiled.

I can also wipe the roosts and such with oil.

That might be the best plan, now that I consider temperature and my disabilities (particularly the fatigue). Any thoughts on that? Hopefully it makes sense. My brain's fading along with my body. Time to join the cats for a bit of a nap.

Lylene

You can use the mineral oil on exposed skin, like the face and legs, but instead of DE, use Sevin Dust in cold weather. DE has never showed me anything and I`ve come to believe that anyone who swears by DE has never had an infestation like you describe. When warm weather comes. then use the shampoo as you would regular shampoo on yourself.........Pop

Back
Top Bottom