Add baby chicks

spbaz

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 16, 2015
My broody hen was sitting on 6 eggs, last Monday she hatched one egg. She kept sitting on the eggs so I thought maybe more of them would hatch, none did. Since she was still tending to the eggs I got 3 baby chicks and stuck them in with her at night. She took them right in, I went to check on her several hours later and they were all still under her. I got up bright and early to check on how they were all doing and she was up with her baby chick but the other three were off to the side. When I tried to put them back under her she pecked at them. I have separated them for now but should I try again tonight? Will she ever accept the new babies?

My broody hen was sitting on 6 eggs, last Monday she hatched one egg. She kept sitting on the eggs so I thought maybe more of them would hatch, none did. Since she was still tending to the eggs I got 3 baby chicks and stuck them in with her at night. She took them right in, I went to check on her several hours later and they were all still under her. I got up bright and early to check on how they were all doing and she was up with her baby chick but the other three were off to the side. When I tried to put them back under her she pecked at them. I have separated them for now but should I try again tonight? Will she ever accept the new babies?
What color is her chick? What color are the new chicks and how old? Have you removed the dud eggs?

Might be the numbers rather than the colors?
Maybe take all the chicks away, just for 15 minutes, then give them back.
Keep picking up one chick at a time then putting it back down.
Have heard of this working....only if mama won't tear you a new one tho.

Her chick is black the new ones are yellow, didn’t know that made a difference? Does it? Also yes I took the dud eggs away

Her chick is black the new ones are yellow, didn’t know that made a difference? Does it? Also yes I took the dud eggs away
What color is her chick? What color are the new chicks and how old? Have you removed the dud eggs?

Oh sorry the new chicks were just in at our local feed store on Thursday so they should only be a few days apart

Back
Top Bottom