Add Bleach to the incubator water??

msbliss

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
I found a link, I believe it was a 4H-type thing about incubating chickens, etc. (I think through google - I'll try to find it again)

The author of the article said at 18 days, they pour out all the water, mix a solution of 1 part bleach/9 parts water and add THAT as the final water for hatching. Said their hatch rates are higher with this method.

I've not seen it mentioned here - has anyone done this? Thoughts? This being my first incubation, with precious eggs that I don't want to lose, I don't think I can bring myself to try this method. However, I'd love to hear what you all think??

------
Jennifer outside Ft. Smith AR
Beginning Day 4 incubating
clap.gif

Nope not going to try that one....I would think the fumes would not be a good idea..even the smallest amount of bleach on anything has a smell...
th.gif

Yeah, even at that small mix, it sounded kinda yucky to me too...it just seems like the solution would permeate the air in there (esp with the higher humidity) & not be good for the delicate chicks. I thought it was kinda odd, but the claims were interesting...??

I have never tried this but when my grandparents had ostiches my grandmother would drill a hole in one end and set them in blech water alothough at much higher concentrations and it would clean out the eggs even if there was a embryo in it it also seems to weaken the shell somewhat i wonder if this is what they are trying to do.

I would pass. Even small levels of bleach burns. And you use bleach to kill things. So no idea but I don't think I'll try this either. I do however say soak the bator in bleach when you are done to clean out all the bacteria.

I dont think I would do it either. that would suck for you first breath of air to be bleach fumes.
sad.png

Not tryng to stir up anything but if you're using tap water and you have city water you are adding bleach water your incubator.

Donna

Back
Top Bottom