Add "one to grow on" when ordering a small number of chicks?

casumm

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
New member and first time poster here.

We have a brooder. We have a plan for the coop & run. What we don't have is the chicks! I think we want 3 (4 tops!, no roos) for pets/eggs. We live on a fairly small, urban lot so I don't want to go overboard.

I'm ordering from MBO to get a small quantity. Do I order just 3 and hope for the best? Do I order more, just in case?

Any advice would be helpful so I can get my order in soon!

Thanks!

(P.S. I'm looking at Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers, primarily.)

Following the law of chicken math, order more just in case
tongue2.gif
You might have to cover for death or roos... and this is how the addiction starts
clap.gif

welcome-byc.gif

If you can go somewhere local and get chicks you might consider that as a good option. We were told to get more than we wanted (which was 4) so we picked up 6 from a farm and tack shop. I chose birds that I noticed as active and by the food or water. All of them lived.

Good luck.

welcome-byc.gif

Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers are BOTH good for starting a very small flock. You'll like 'em both. Order 4, two each. That way, IF something untoward happens to one, you'll have a spare of that breed.

OR go to a local feed store for the same. Matter of fact, try a feed store first, and if you can't get what you want, then order from a hatchery.

We found ours off of craigs list, we originally were only going to get 4....then decided on 6...we have 8,lol. But we also live in a fairly rural area, well half and half, vermont is a strange place. So there were lots of listings. I am thrilled with the results, and the folks we got them from are chicken lovers, gave some great advice, we super friendly AND told us if we got any roos we could bring them back. Now THAT is a deal! Not sure how it would work where you live though, however may be a good alternative to ordering from the hatchery. Good luck!

Thank you all for the tips and support!!! I did it and I am *SO* excited right now.
big_smile.png
Two baby easter eggers and two baby barred rocks are coming to make their home here soon. (I wish finding them locally would have been an option.) Seems like this holiday weekend might be a good time to get started on the awesome chicken tractor they will live in.

P.S. My 3-year-old son has already picked out their names. He says they will be called "Rita", "Maxine" (but Mac for short, NOT Max) and "Just Chicken" (maybe we'll shorten that to J.C.). Since I tossed in the 4th chicken for luck, I'm reserving the right to name her.
wink.png

we were orginally going for only the two that came with the house, then on a monday went to feed store for stuff for those two, and came home with 5 more. That friday while back at the feed store for more stuff for the babies, brought home 4 more.3 weeks later i get dragged to go look at babies at a friends farm...but wait they havent hatched yet so lets get 5 full grown birds. fast forward 2 weeks until the friday when all my little brooder babies go outside. and some how that sunday i have seven more in a brooder. when this addiction hits. it hits hard and fast. less than a month and weve gone from "just these two" to TWENTY TWO. worst part is im in the military and im due to move in october.... hope they have friendly laws whereever we go or ill be an outlaw.

Back
Top Bottom