added a fan to one of my little giants.

kyzerc

Chirping
Nov 7, 2015
I put a fan in one of my little giants today,and i am trying to get used to it.Ive gone from low humity levels with water full to 85% with the water channels barely damp. How can I get the humiditary lower with out running bone dry

Last edited:
The incubator should have 2 red hole plugs at the top, just remove them and watch the humidity close for a while. This will also give the eggs some fresh air too. Good luck.

it really doesn't matter if you run a incubator dry. The whole idea is to get the humidity correct.

rules of thumb for humidity:

humidity is based on surface area and air speed. Water depth has no affect on humidity once the water temp is stable to the temp of the incubator.

molecules of water vapor are formed on the water surface before reaching a level where they will break the bond with the water and become airborne humidity (not very scientific way to explain it). The more water area the more molecules are trying to break the bond thus higher humidity. Now in your case the fan is assisting the molecules by blowing them of the water surface breaking the bond earlier then they would with no air flow.

So to reduce your humidity you need to make the water area smaller or reduce the air speed over the water. e.g put a small cup of water in the incubator rather than the large area the channels provide. (do not place the water where the fan blows directly over top of the water.
(another trick is to use a smaller power supply to the fan to slow it down and make it more of a mixing fan. If the fan is 12v use a 6-9v power supply)

being a retired mechanic,i should have followed the rule,(if it aint broke don't fix it) I put the heater back with no fan.)

being a retired mechanic,i should have followed the rule,(if it aint broke don't fix it) I put the heater back with no fan.)

The fan is worth the effort. I wouldn't consider running with out forced air as its easier to control the temperature. The simple fix is just to remove the water and dry the channels out then let it settle down and see what the humidity reads. A lot of people run with very little to no water during the incubation stage. At least on lock down you know that you can run high humidity with out a problem.

Back
Top Bottom