Added new birds today!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lovinlife, Jun 16, 2011.

1. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend of mine has to move back to town and can't keep her animals. She asked me if I would take them in and I agreed. When I got to her house today, I found out there were quite a few more animals than I thought. I came home with 17 chicks, 9 full-size chickens (one is a roo), 2 bantams (one is a roo), 3 ducks, a peafowl (not sure what it is yet), and two more chickens coming soon. Yikes!

I put the 9 chickens, the ducks, and the peafowl in one pen. The ducks got some fresh water in a pool and went to town playing around in it. The chickens pecked and scratched in the dirt and the peafowl sat around and took it all in. He was in a 2'x3' dog kennel for most of his life, so the 10'x10' pen was heaven for him.

The bantams went into a large wire dog kennel and got some food and water. The roo is a frizzled cochin (I think) and needs a good bath.

The chicks went into another large wire dog kennel and immediately started dust bathing in the dirt. It was hilarious! Unfortunately, the kennel has the wire cross bars on the bottom and the chicks were getting trapped under the bars. I put them in a different wire crate, but they couldn't get to the dirt underneath. So, I put some dirt in a plastic wash tub and they had a blast!

Here are some pics:
    The chicks in their dirt bath
    [​IMG]

The bantams
    [​IMG]

The peafowl
    [​IMG]

The ducks
    [​IMG]

Some of the chickens
    [​IMG]

The duck and chicken pen
    [​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    It is like you hit the BYC lottery! [​IMG] I think I am jealous!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    What a GOOD friend you are! WOW And aww they look so content [​IMG] LOVE the chicks in a bucket! SO CUTE! [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    It is like you hit the BYC lottery! ya I think I am jealous!

[​IMG]

5. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So cool that you said that! I was thinking the same thing! I've hit three BYC pops in one go! [​IMG] I'd love to find out more about the peafowl and the ducks. I posted in both sections hoping to get some info on them.

I totally love my chickens and guineas. Now I've added some other great animals to my farm and I'm so excited! [​IMG]

6. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    looks like a yearling male peacock to me, hes a beaut not positive on his color so i will let that go for now LOL. Awesome deal you got there, I am certainly jealous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by