Added poop boards and need better board

Aidenous

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2018
Greenville, Indiana
BC8DE9DC-7F1B-41F8-A4F1-F3EF1F93B292.png
I finally got around to remodeling the coop and added poop boards. I used a piece of old plastic on top of the board temporarily until I had time to get something else. My question is what would be best? Durable and easy to clean. I’ve seen
High Density Polyethylene panels and wonder how well that would work.

Only other problem I have is all the chickens want on the top board so I have 3 that stay in the run on boards out there. Preciously they had two smaller roost areas. This is a pic the first day. None will stay on that first board.

Attachments

• B5D6B34A-EE5C-40BA-A0A2-E9AFA63CB752.png
    B5D6B34A-EE5C-40BA-A0A2-E9AFA63CB752.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
I use wood paneling, a rigid yet light weight thin sheet, and I use spar varnish to seal it. It's important to use the long side of the panel with the grain or the board will end up bending and drooping in the middle.

Durable and easy to clean. I’ve seen High Density Polyethylene panels and wonder how well that would work.
That would work......probably pricey tho.
Is the board on a slant or is that an and optical illusion?
What kind of plastic is on there now....and why wouldn't that work long term?
How do you plan on cleaning it?

Only other problem I have is all the chickens want on the top board so I have 3 that stay in the run on boards out there. Preciously they had two smaller roost areas. This is a pic the first day. None will stay on that first board.
It's new, give them time.
And if the roosts in the run are higher than the lower roost in the coop you may have to lower or remove the run roost.

Yes, it’s slanted. Should it be flat? The plastic on there now was on the floor and has torn and has rough places so it does t scrape easy. Right now I’m using a cat litter box scoop to scrape off daily.

Yes, it’s slanted. Should it be flat? The plastic on there now was on the floor and has torn and has rough places so it does t scrape easy. Right now I’m using a cat litter box scoop to scrape off daily.
Depends on how you want to clean it...and how clean you expect it to be.
One advantage to a slanted board might be that the birds will probably not roost on it.
Some folks just use a piece of wood under the roosts and scrape it off as often as they feel necessary.
Mine are horizontal, edged with 2x2's, lined with heavy duty vinyl, and have <1/8" 'Sweet PDZ' (granulated zeolite), and all poops are sifted out daily.
Here's some posts about it, they're kind of old, but changes are noted.
...and the threads these posts are in has a ton of examples of poop boards.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-111#post-13179595
Updates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048

You could get a piece of vinyl and put it on the wood, it would scrape easier and should hold up well. A taping knife will work better if your not using anything on the board(like PDZ), to scrape the poop off vs a litter scoop.

I use sweet PDZ on my poop board like @aart does.

Back
Top Bottom