Added to flock... Need to know ASAP!

Crickett

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Heart of Dixie
I have two questions. First I added some ducklings, goslings and turkey chicks to my flock. One of the ducklings, a muscovy, is holding his head sort of sideways, like he's listening for something. He holds it this way all the time, I didn't notice it until after I had already paid for him. It doesn't seem to bother him, but will he be alright? And second, can ducklings, goslings and turkey chicks all be in the same brooder, or do I need to seperate them? Please Help!

I think the only thing wrong with having all kinds of birds together is possible transmission of diseases between species. I know chickens are carriers for Black Head. They may show no symptoms but put them with turkeys, and the turkeys may die from it.
I don't know about your head problem. I had a chicken who "star-gazed" under stress, but yours sounds different.

I took the turkey poults out of the big brooder and put them by themselves in a quickie brooder I made out of an old laundry basket. They were so much smaller than the other birds, I was afraid they would get hurt. As it is, I think I may have moved them too late. One of the poults got chilled when the ducklings (or was it the goslings?) splashed her. I don't know if she's going to make it. The other five look to be doing well though.

The one little poult didn't make it.
hit.gif
She just couldn't get warmed and dry fast enough, I guess.
hu.gif
The other five are doing well though. I'll have to get some turkey feed for them in the morning. They're asleep right now. As for the goslings and the ducklings, they are doing great! They got to "swim" for a bit in the bathtub, (they are too little to go outside yet) which they enjoyed immensely. They are currently snuggled up for sleepy-time as well.
So thus ends another day on "the funny farm".

Back
Top Bottom