Addicted to ordering chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IdealisticRoo, Jan 10, 2011.

1. This sounds exciting, but I don't have ANY room!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I HAVE to try this!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. This sounds dangerous!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. My spouse would disown me if I tried this!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have already been banned from trying this!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I do this all the time!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. IdealisticRoo

IdealisticRoo Chicken Tender

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    I love the thrill of ordering chicks, not knowing what I am going to get, then the anticipation, the call, the trip to the post office and the thrill of opening the cheeping, wiggling box! I love this, but I think I am becoming addicted to this!

I ordered in October, I wanted to add a few (13) Black Australorps to my existing flock of E.E.s. Then my neighbor wanted to add 12 RIRs, then the 25 bantam special HAD to be added; and finally after adding to my order twice, I got my box of chicks on October 21, 2010. The neighbor left town and could not take his pullets, and it became obvious that 24 bantams and 13 BAs was WAY too many! SO I put an ad up on Craigslist for started pullets and straight run bantams. I sold 12 RIRs, 8 Black Australorps and 17 bantams for $5 each!

Hmm, this left me with 13 free chickens and a "profit" of 70 dollars!

Better order more!

Next time it was the 25 pullet "Surprise Special" in December, I managed to sell 17 of those for $5 each, kept 9 so far. Hmm, $29 ahead and 9 "free" chickens!

Better order another pullet "Surprise Special"!

On January 7th I received 26 assorted pullets, I think they are about 1/2 barred rocks and 1/2 Reds; they are in with 1 chick (out of 100+ eggs) I hatched. They all seem to be growing fast and are thriving. I was glad to see that this order had only 2 types of chicks in it and since I had 1 of each of these breeds already, I have no problem selling them!

I ordered this batch to resell, and I posted them on Craigslist and I have already sold them at 6 days old for $1 more each than I paid for them! I don't pretend that I am going to make ANY money at this, but it is kinda like gambling! I never know when I am going to get "stuck" with chicks that won't sell, and I will have to keep them! I guess it helps pay for the chicken food!

If I sell most of them and actually make a bit, while supporting my "post office chick" addiction!

I apologize if any of you reading this try this and become addicted to it! I would only try it with pullets your first time (kinda like training wheels, this is a "gateway").

I guess this kind of activity keeps me of the streets, out of the bars and all, but I kinda need to get a life! Maybe I will be able to resist ordering any more, hmm - I doubt it!

I do spend about 3 hours a day watching chicks and chickens and taking VERY good care of them!

I do not live in a trailer with the chickens...

I do not have ANY chickens in the house (yet! But, there are some in the garage...)

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have only ever gotten chicks from feed stores or - once - a local farm. Never ordered any to be delivered through the mail. I have, of course, filled up my "shopping cart" several times, but never completed an order.

For me, it's egg auctions, incubating and hatching what I can.

The rest is similar, except that I have only given away a couple of birds to BYCers. I have a surfeit of roosters. But I love 'em all.

3. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    This would probably not work in my area, but i would LOVE to do it if it did!!! Glad you are able to make it work for you!

4. IdealisticRoo

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Quote:I tried egg auctions, boy did I try egg auctions! Thrilling, but since I am untalented in the incubation department, I have 1 chick. Kinda unsatisfying in the long run! That 1 chick cost me several hundred dollars! Think of all the chicks I could have ordered instead!

5. sklr112

sklr112 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    This sounds like fun! What hatchery do you use?

6. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I do not have to order chicks as I am fortunate enough to live in the same town as Cackle Hatchery. However I am not addicted to buying their chicks. I am addicted to HATCHING chicks.

7. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I've bought chicks and resold the excess ones. It was fun, and its something that I'll do again, but I don't have the space to do it as a hobby.

8. IdealisticRoo

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Quote:I use Ideal Poultry in Cameron, Texas. I want to try others, but Ideal is so affordable and my chicks have always been happy and healthy! I also have never had a sexing mistake from them!

They don't send any extras usually, maybe 1 extra per 25-50 chicks, but they don't need to, because their stock lives and thrives!

Sonjab314 - I am addicted to incubating too! Although, perhaps in my case I should say that I am addicted to TRYING to hatch eggs! My incubators run non stop and a power outage is my worst nightmare!

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Is there an option for "No" ? [​IMG]

I stopped ordering chicks years ago, but eggs, that's another story. I think I've been entirely turned off to the thought of ordering chicks from hatcheries.

10. IdealisticRoo

Oct 18, 2010
    Colorado!
    Quote:I am addicted to ordering and incubating eggs too, but I have not been as successful at hatching chicks. I have spent hundreds of dollars on hatching eggs, and only hatched 2 chicks! With ordering chicks, I have resold some each time AND kept some. Now granted, most of mine are not show-quality stock, but they are pretty and friendly and that is all I need.

I would rather I sold started pullets than the feed store! I take very good care of the chicks, I quiz customers about their setup, and I offer to buy them back if they change their mind or don't want to take care of the chicks.

I just ordered ANOTHER 25 today! Ideal has a special on today only for the surprise special, the bantam special, the duck special AND 3 production breeds! The breeds are RIRs, Black Sex links and White leghorn production crosses. I picked the surprise special again! Only $1.50 a pullet/ minimum order 25 chicks. They must have too many unsold chicks this week, because it is only valid for tomorrow's hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by