Adding 1st rooster to flock

josher57

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2016
Alabama
I've had hens for a while now. I have the opportunity to add the 1st rooster to the flock. I'm adding some more hens tomorrow, to give us 8 total hens. I feel like 1/8 is a good ratio. My questions come to the eggs.

How do I know which eggs are fertilized? (probably all ha)
How long can I keep a fertilized eggs at room temp/fridge? (not to hatch but to eat)

Right now we are just eating the eggs...If one of the new hens goes broody, ok! But if not, I'm not looking at hatching them right now anyways.

I just added a Polish rooster a month ago and had great success integrating him in. I hope the same as well for you. Below is a good link to check out about how to identify the difference between a fertilized or non-fertilized egg. what i have found in my research is there is not much difference in how to keep a fertilized egg fresh as is with a non fertilized one. But you could error on the side of caution and keep them in the refrigerator once harvested from the coop. Hope this helps! BTY what kind of rooster are getting?

http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/Are-fertilized-eggs-okay-to-eat-H48.aspx

If I get a rooster, I'll get him with the other hens I'll be adding. I'm hoping this will help the whole group. Thanks for the link. I haven't done much research on adding a rooster and what it will do to the eggs. The rooster will be a RIR or possibly a Yellow Buff. I'm adding 4 Yellow Buff hens for sure.

After a few weeks of breeding all the hens, all eggs will be fertile.
When you crack a fertilized and an un-fertilized in a bowl, the "ring" on the fertilize yolk is very apparent.

Fertilized eggs are left in the nest for 8-14 days (from the the time the first one is laid until she sets) with no development when a hen naturally lays a clutch to set.
So you can easily leave them on the countertop for a week. But I would go ahead and refrigerate within a day or so unless you intend to put them under a broody.

I highly recommend letting a broody hen hatch a clutch, its so very cool. BTW, Don't refrigerate the ones you intend to put under a broody hen. Once she goes broody, hold them at room temp until you have the number you want. Mark them with a pencil so you can tell if she or another hen dumps eggs into the clutch after day 1.

I have a Buff pullet named Gilbert, and she is quite the character in the flock. She likes to puff up a lot and shake her feathers like a wet dog shakes. I found out from another thread just recently this means she is going broody and getting ready to lay some eggs soon. Good luck on your chicken adventure!

After a few weeks of breeding all the hens, all eggs will be fertile.
When you crack a fertilized and an un-fertilized in a bowl, the "ring" on the fertilize yolk is very apparent.

Fertilized eggs are left in the nest for 8-14 days (from the the time the first one is laid until she sets) with no development when a hen naturally lays a clutch to set.
So you can easily leave them on the countertop for a week. But I would go ahead and refrigerate within a day or so unless you intend to put them under a broody.

I highly recommend letting  a broody hen hatch a clutch, its so very cool. BTW, Don't refrigerate the ones you intend to put under a broody hen. Once she goes broody, hold them at room temp until you have the number you want. Mark them with a pencil so you can tell if she or another hen dumps eggs into the clutch after day 1.

You answered my next question haha. I'd love to hatch some from my coop but I'll have to see if any of the new hens are broody. My currents ones are definitely not. My main concern was my wife cracking open a partially grown chick during breakfast haha.

Straight to the fridge they will go until one goes broody. I'm gonna need a bigger fridge!

Back
Top Bottom