Adding a 6 week old chick to a group of 8 week olds

ace6175

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
We have had our 8 week olds, 12 of them, together since they were 1 day old. Last week, we got a chick, who I think is about 6 weeks old. Put her in the coop in a nest box with a screen door for about a day, but she really hated it. So now she's with the big girls, there is some pecking going on, but she doesn't seem like she is getting hurt. She does avoid them, and I keep a separate bowl for food & water for her (though the others eat & drink from it also).
I'm just wondering if they will ever accept her? She seems so afraid of them, and whenever I'm around, she wants to jump onto my shoulder. My husband says I shouldn't give her the extra attention, that it is making it worse, but I feel so sorry for her! She is still so little. When they are all free ranging during the day, she can avoid them.
Has anyone ever had a situation like this work out?
Thanks

I wish I had advice, but I am new to this as well. I have heard it is harder on them when you add only one newbie, but I would think if she is surviving then things are okay. I added three smaller chicks to my group and after rehoming the one rooster who wanted to peck them to death they are surviving. They also like to jump on me when I'm around because they know I won't let the bigger ones get them. They get chased and are obviously the lowest in the pecking order but they do get space on the roosts now so I think things are looking up. I have heard that if you add in a second group sometimes they never mesh but hopefully yours will. Good luck to you and your little chick!

First off I would have put one or two of the other chicks in with her since they are reacting that way. Watch and you will find some non agressive chicks to put in with her. Then after several days you can add all of them. I have hatched some at different ages and as long as they are within about four weeks of each other I have had no problem combining all the ages. I am also concerned as to putting them together if you bought them from different people?? Should be isolated for awhile from your main flock.

I did have her isolated for a week, she was in the garage, she seemed very healthy, so I brought her into the coop . My hubbie said today that she stood up to one of the other chicks, so that is progress!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the replies!

I added 6, 7-week old chicks to 12, 7 week old chicks. The new ones were smaller on average and they have been picked on since Friday... I hope they soon learn to get along.

Back
Top Bottom