Adding a bantam frizzle hen...help! I'm clueless!

Interesting. Thanks for the pictures! I am going to keep her in the pen in her own house for a bit and let everyone get used to her. She also isn't full grown yet. I might try integrating her later on and see how she does. Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

Depending on how small she is vs. how large your roo is, I would be cautious. A large roo can hurt a really little bantam, even is he's fairly gentle (just the weight difference). I think it's one of those things you just have to experience for yourself, putting a little girl in with big ones. Some folks seem to have very harmonious mixed flocks, while others experience what the man who gave her to you have experienced - bullying of the little ones. I might try her with them under supervision only and see what happens, but be ready to intervene...

Thanks everyone. I made her a little pen today. I will take some pictures soon. It started to rain just as I put her in. She seems to like it. My husband took her out and was holding her. The rooster immediately ran up to my husband to investigate. He let Red look at her and he went to pecking the mess out of her. We will keep trying, but for now we are going to keep her separate but in with them.

I like to wait until they are 4 months old to integrate chicks with older ones.

When your bantam is old enough to integrate, you might try taking the LOWEST hen in the pecking order (the nicest) to put in the pen with the bantam (to make friends). Then when you integrate them, the bantam has a buddy. This will only work if the older hen doesn't peck the bantam to death, obviously. I'd only do it under supervision.

This will keep the bantam from being so lonely. Chickens get really lonely.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock
scroll down for adding to flock

We have a banty frizzled cochin in with our EEs, BA, and SLW. Drizzle the frizzle is tiny but is at the top of the pecking order anyhow. So I don't think the banty's small stature necessarily forbodes abuse, although ours are all hens so your rooster may make a difference.

Back
Top Bottom