Adding a bantam frizzle hen...help! I'm clueless!

chikeemomma25

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Southeast AL
Tonight we picked up a few hens to add to our flock. We have lost numerous hens since we started a year ago. My husband just finished the chicken fortress so they are safe now. While we were at the guys house he talked me into taking a "frizzle" he didn't want. She isn't frizzled herself but is the offspring of one. He said if we wanted to breed her with a bantam roo she would have a 25% chance of having frizzled offspring. I'm not really concerned about breeding her. Mostly she is for my daughter. My question is, what do I do with her? What type of pen does she need?

This is our setup right now. Thinking about making her a pen inside the fortress using some pallet material and spare tin/hardware cloth. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=445794&p=1

Well I'm not sure.
sad.png
should I? We have 7 hens and a RIR rooster. The guy who gave her to me said the bigger chickens would peck her to death since she is so small.

I had a bantam polish hen in with my orps. She was picked on some but more because of being polish than being a bantam. And my roo LOVED her! we even got a few odd little chicks from the pairing.

I have silkies and some other type of bantam hens in with a lot of standard chickens, and have had no problems. I would worry because she is the only new chicken you are adding. I usually add at least 5 or 6 at a time---that way the other chickens don't seem to notice the difference so much-----just keep an eye on what is going on for the first few days.

Actually we got her when we got the other 4 hens last night. I have her in a crate right now inside the big pen. The big girls went into coop last night with the established flock. They are sorting out the pecking order lol.

I have not made out well putting batams in with bigger breeds,allthough I have to say when I got my young batam frizzle rooster I put him in with the silkies and her terrorized them,so I put him in a cage by himself in the the big girl coop and I could tell he wanted in with them,I was leary at first and stayed riight there and watch but he made out fine and now there is a big BO rooster in there two and no problems at all.But batam girls are not as fiesty and probably get picked on.This is him the little black one the first night he got right on the top roost with the big girls.
44824_frizzle_will_stay_warm_tonight.jpg

44824_girls_in_the_snow_1-11.jpg
SORRY ABOUT ALL THE SAME PICTURES WAS DOING SOMETHING WRONG,BUT THIS IS FRIZZLE THE FRIZZLE WITH BABA THE BO ROOSTER AND SOME OF THE GIRLS

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom