Lonely Faverolles hen?

WyoChick1

Chirping
Mar 13, 2023
Wyoming
Hi all! I've had my chickens for one year now, and I recently got a "chicken cam" for our coop! It's been fun to check on them this way. Something I've noticed, our one Salmon Faverolles sleeps by herself every night. All the other chickens group up to sleep, but she is on the roost a few feet away, all by herself. She's mostly on her own during the day too. They all come running for food, and she's just off to the side, doing her own thing.

We knew this breed might be low on the pecking order, but we've been fortunate that nobody seems to bully or peck at each other. She's just... shunned or solitary, instead. Would getting another Faverolles be good for her? Or, a different breed (Faverolles is going to be hard for me to find, they usually don't sell them here)? Or would it not really matter, and she is just a solitary type bird?

For reference, the rest of the flock is Barred Rock, Buff Orp, Isa Brown, New Hampshire Red, and some EEs. I chose them all for their friendly qualities, and they have indeed all been great.

I don't think it'll make a difference. Even another Faverolles might just join the others. But even if she stays apart from the others, she's still part of the flock and part of their social order.

Yeah, you're probably right. They're so well adjusted and established right now, I wouldn't know how to add anyone anyway. In the future though, once it is time to add new members to the flock, I'll be hopeful for birds that will get along with this shy one. She's a sweetie. My daughter's favorite, as you can see in my profile photo :)

Back
Top Bottom