Possible Lonely Hen

Wyomingchickens

Hatching
Mar 2, 2024
Hi everyone, this is my first time on Backyard Chickens. I ran across this site and am looking for some help with my flock. I currently have 3 wyandottes and 1 Rhode Island Red that I got last year as my first chickens. I started with 3 and 3 but lost one Rhode Island as a chick and lost one in the fall from unknown causes. She didn’t appear to be beaten up or anything we just found her dead. Even though I got them at the same time and they were in the same brooder the two breeds stayed kinda stayed separate. They currently are free ranging for about 6 hours a day and are in a large run the rest of the time. Lately, especially, I’ve noticed the lone Rhode Island by herself pretty much all the time. They have begun to pick on her more noticeably. I guess in the end, I was wondering what effect adding a couple of pullets would have on the current flock. We are planning on expanding their run this spring but don’t really have the right property setup to add a whole other coop and run. I have the ability to add a smaller coop and run for introductions but nothing adequate for long term use. Any help and further questions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

There's always a bottom bird in a flock of chickens. Sometimes you notice which it is, and sometimes you don't. It all depends on the dynamics of the flock, and how they are housed.

Adding more will move the current bottom bird up in the pecking order. Sometimes that bottom bird becomes a bully to new ones. Add more if you can accommodate them.

Sometimes they will also pick on a bird because she's unwell. Instincts are to drive out unwell members. So be sure to give your hen a good going over. Check her breast bone to see how thin she is. It should be prominent, but not sharp. Make sure she's eating and drinking, and free of external parasites.

You can also add more places in your coop or run for her to hide, or get away from the dominant birds. From my observations the best distance is 5-10 feet. You did not mention the size of your set-up, but if it's smaller it can lead to bullying, and aggression.

Thank you so much for the response! Their run it about 20’ by 15’ and the coop is 6 by 5. She does seem to have lost some weight but the group of Wyandottes (the other two plus the top hen) will go after her when given food. I have started to give her her own little pile of treats when the go back in and I added another feeder the other day.

There is always that one chicken who is on the bottom of the pecking order. They are the ones who get run off from food sources and the best roosts. To help those in my flock, I give extra roosts that are no where near the main roost, and throw food down in different areas. I don't leave food out all day as chickens will waste it. I feed twice daily and toss the food in several areas.

If you are thinking about adding more to your flock, I think bringing in another RIR might really help your bottom girl. She might just need a buddy. Integration and pecking order rules apply of course as stated.

You know that saying ?... Birds of a feather, flock together.
And welcome to BYC... :frow

Thank you! That is what I was thinking, and I will take out the feeders to see how that changes things. They have several roosting spots throughout the run. Thank you for all your help!

Hi everyone, this is my first time on Backyard Chickens. I ran across this site and am looking for some help with my flock. I currently have 3 wyandottes and 1 Rhode Island Red that I got last year as my first chickens. I started with 3 and 3 but lost one Rhode Island as a chick and lost one in the fall from unknown causes. She didn’t appear to be beaten up or anything we just found her dead. Even though I got them at the same time and they were in the same brooder the two breeds stayed kinda stayed separate. They currently are free ranging for about 6 hours a day and are in a large run the rest of the time. Lately, especially, I’ve noticed the lone Rhode Island by herself pretty much all the time. They have begun to pick on her more noticeably. I guess in the end, I was wondering what effect adding a couple of pullets would have on the current flock. We are planning on expanding their run this spring but don’t really have the right property setup to add a whole other coop and run. I have the ability to add a smaller coop and run for introductions but nothing adequate for long term use. Any help and further questions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!
My experience with my remaining older Red is that she doesn't mingle with the others very much.

She always comes in with the others to get treats, however. Maybe try that. My Carmen loves grapes and cheese bites.
I'd get 2 other Reds if I were allowed to have more in town. Rest of my girls are Americaunas.

Back
Top Bottom