Hen suddenly aggressive towards me? Please answer!

Oh my gosh, what a cutiepie!! Given she doesn't lay there could be hormonal issues at play. Some of my roosters get weirder around different clothing types, maybe be more aware of your wardrobe and you may pick up on things that bring out her aggression.

Some of my hens do try to dominate my feet, and growl a bit as I step into their space or peck. Little head boops to say "no" usually work for me, but never had a full on attack so far.
Thank you! I was wearing a hood, so maybe she thought it wasn't me despite the fact that I wear a hood every time I go out there.

I'd like to know how you know that she never laid. I have a lot of hens and it's sometimes hard to figure out who laid and what not, and sometimes, I'll get a bird that does not lay the color egg they should. (Currently I'm getting a white egg from one of my new girls, and none of them should be laying white eggs.)

As a previous poster brought up, what was you wearing? I've heard of plenty of stories where chickens suddenly attacked due to a clothing change. (The most dramatic attack over a clothing change I've heard so far was over a pair of socks.)

If she never laid, I'm wondering if she has hormone or reproductive issues?
What are the symptoms of hormone issues? She doesn't seem to have anything wrong, she eats and drinks just fine, however, she sits down more than the others. She has done this since she was a chick. Overall, she seems fine.

I'd like to know how you know that she never laid. I have a lot of hens and it's sometimes hard to figure out who laid and what not, and sometimes, I'll get a bird that does not lay the color egg they should. (Currently I'm getting a white egg from one of my new girls, and none of them should be laying white eggs.)

As a previous poster brought up, what was you wearing? I've heard of plenty of stories where chickens suddenly attacked due to a clothing change. (The most dramatic attack over a clothing change I've heard so far was over a pair of socks.)
I have cameras set up in the nesting area and in the run. I am kind of paranoid all the time so I check on them a lot, haha. I have seen all chickens in the nesting box before and they all lay different colored eggs. One lays green, one blue, one light brown, and she is supposed to lay dark brown. She has never once gone inside the nesting box and we have never seen darker brown eggs in there before.

It's 100% that she doesn't lay eggs. This got me really confused a year ago when I noticed she was never in the nesting box and never been broody. If I can remember we contacted the chicken seller and she said it was odd, but possible.

I was wearing a hoodie and sandals. But my friend who takes care of the chickens also got attacked earlier that day, so I'm not sure if It's my clothes. Also, I wear these clothes every day to clean the coop.

Roosters and hens often act on instinct and what evolution has programmed them to do if certain buttons are pushed. They don't "think" when they attack you, they react to stimuli that fit the pre-programmed attack criteria. That's why a docile rooster may attack you out of the blue, but then suddenly stop and act peevish - your shadow might have triggered his automatic fight response, but a second later he recognized you and overrode the instinct.

You can also pick her up and carry her around a bit, if you want to show dominance, shoving her or waving your hands would just aggravate her.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a regular thing. Random attacks can happen.

Yes, she is a hen. She has a medium sized comb, no spurs, no saddle feathers. She is medium in size and not very heavy. She also makes high pitched peeping noises despite being a full grown chicken. I find it cute. Here are some images.
Can we see a photo of this one from the side, showing the tail?
Also, do you have a rooster in your flock?

It could just be random or hormones considering she is already 3 years old. I have a very friendly and docile chicken that will occasionally peck me or even attack me. Some chickens just have random triggers and she may have saw something on you but not exactly “you” if that makes sense. My chicken has hardcore attacked my crocs shoes and the moment I take them off of me she still attacks the shoe that isn’t on me :lol:

But if you don’t think it’s clothing or shadows etc maybe she’s testing you?? I know chickens will sometimes challenge other chickens for higher position in the pecking order even my own chickens and yes I’ve had my own hen challenge me multiple times for a month until she finally got that I was the dominant one. And this was a random occurrence that just happened after having her for two years, up till then I had never had a problem with her

I know she has never laid one...but maybe she is going to and getting broody? Do you think she could be getting defensive because shes lower in the pecking order? Maybe she is trying to be more dominant to get herself higher in the pecking order? Some of my sweeter girls have changed personalities and become more aggressive/assertive because they got fed up with my big old dominant rir hen and wanted to show her who's boss. Do you have more info about the situation with your friend? Hens can be fussy...one small thing can change them! She could be remembering what happened and feeling like she needs to be defensive...maybe she just doesn't like authority...some hens are like that, even when they are sweet. They like being sweet and cuddly, but they also like having their own way too! They don't like being told no or having someone above them in dominance. (even an owner)) Sometimes hens do weird/mean things if they think it gets them attention. I've seen both of the scenarios I just listed happen before, lol. Also, I know it may be the only thing that works but try to not give her treats to make her stop. (may accidently reward the behavior) A firm, "NO" with a pointed finger usually works for my girls. Showing dominance is good. Don't interact with her if she's going to hurt you badly as she did before, but if you can, pick her up and pet her and show her that she doesn't control you and that you are going to touch her. You are her boss. Keep establishing the dominance like you are doing, but don't give in to her! I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom