Hen suddenly aggressive towards me? Please answer!

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
She is a 3 year old rock partridge hen. She has never been aggressive towards me in any way, and although she doesn't like being held, she is very sweet. Almost 2 years ago, when she was a pullet, she attacked my friend once, probably out of defense as my friend most likely intimidated her in some way. I went out to the coop and she immediately bolted towards me and pecked at my foot, drawing blood, and jumped up to claw at my legs. I tried to show her that I was dominant over her, so I shoved her aside and tried to intimidate her, which didn't work. But after giving her some treats by hand she suddenly stopped.

I called someone who also takes care of the chickens and she said that earlier in the day, she had attacked her, as well. This is so strange to me because she has been a shy, flighty hen all her life who has been in the middle of the pecking order. Additionally, the chickens all see me as their 'mother figure'?? Why would she suddenly become aggressive??
She was aggressive only to me, not the other chickens. The pecking order had been: she gets pecked on, and pecks on another chicken. In the middle of the pecking order.

Edit: she has never laid an egg in her life. She is healthy and active and eats well.

Last edited:
Is she possibly starting to molt? A couple of my hens, who are normally friendly, will get a little testy when starting to molt.
Her molt ended a few weeks ago (maybe even a month ago). She was never moody or aggressive during her molts. All of her feathers grew back.

Are you sure she's a she?
Yes, she is a hen. She has a medium sized comb, no spurs, no saddle feathers. She is medium in size and not very heavy. She also makes high pitched peeping noises despite being a full grown chicken. I find it cute. Here are some images.

Attachments

• IMG_7746.jpg
    IMG_7746.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 30
Beautiful bird. She may just be testing you a bit. Every once in a while I'll have a hen peck at me on the roost, and they are mostly lap chickens. If it keeps up I might be concerned, but not a one time deal.
Thank you! Hopefully she won't do this again. I appreciate your help!

Yes, she is a hen. She has a medium sized comb, no spurs, no saddle feathers. She is medium in size and not very heavy. She also makes high pitched peeping noises despite being a full grown chicken. I find it cute. Here are some images.
Oh my gosh, what a cutiepie!! Given she doesn't lay there could be hormonal issues at play. Some of my roosters get weirder around different clothing types, maybe be more aware of your wardrobe and you may pick up on things that bring out her aggression.

Some of my hens do try to dominate my feet, and growl a bit as I step into their space or peck. Little head boops to say "no" usually work for me, but never had a full on attack so far.

Back
Top Bottom