Suddenly Aggressive chickens

Inadequate protein,too many treats,not enough food, too little space or lack of privacy or hiding places are a few of the most common reasons they become aggressive. A coop that provides each bird 4 sq foot and 10 in the run is usually sufficient.A photo of your set up would help.
They have adequate protein and enough food and plenty of space. Maybe not enough hiding spaces . What would you consider treats? Fruit? . I just don't understand why all of a sudden her own sisters would attack her. They are 9 months old and have always been together, there are 4 of them( cochin bantams) Tonight was awful. She is in a separate cage in the coop and when I went out there Tonight
she was all bloody on her Comb and head :( the only ones that could reach their head between the bars would be her sisters because my older chickens are too big. She is now in the house in my basement. I am at a loss of what to do

A lot of chickens, A LOT of chickens do not get BFF. Being raised together has almost no effect on how chickens behave.

Probably the number one culprit is space, and how that space is set up. You cannot wish them nice, changes have to be made.

Not all birds will work in a set up, within a flock. When that happens, let birds go. Sell them if they are laying. Or cull. Always solve fore a peaceful flock. IMO, this behavior just ruins MY enjoyment of chickens. I hate it, and I solve for it.

One really should not plan on keeping each bird forever, instead, keep a flock. The birds in the flock change as needed.

Mrs K

A lot of chickens, A LOT of chickens do not get BFF. Being raised together has almost no effect on how chickens behave.

Probably the number one culprit is space, and how that space is set up. You cannot wish them nice, changes have to be made.

Not all birds will work in a set up, within a flock. When that happens, let birds go. Sell them if they are laying. Or cull. Always solve fore a peaceful flock. IMO, this behavior just ruins MY enjoyment of chickens. I hate it, and I solve for it.

One really should not plan on keeping each bird forever, instead, keep a flock. The birds in the flock change as needed.

Mrs K
Thank you for all you're great advice. I really
appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom