How cold hardy are tiny bantams?

Sep 2, 2022
Central Alabama
I have a couple of d'uccles (mille fleur and porcelain). In the past, they snuggled up to our bigger hens for warmth during the winter. But lately they have moved down in the pecking order. The porcelain d'uccle is near the bottom, and she has been sleeping alone in an upper corner of the coop. The mille fleur sleeps in a covered nesting box which i think keeps her warmer. We got down to 29 last night, and I've been concerned that bantams are not as cold hardy as standard sized hens in general. I'm wondering if I should move the 2 inside our garage for the winter. I think they are happier with the flock at night but want to be responsible. We also have a couple of mediterranean breeds but they seem good so far. Thanks for any input!

D'Uccles are pretty hardy. The main cause for concern is frostbite to their combs, as with any breed that has larger single combs. Some hens will tuck their heads in their feathers when they sleep, preventing this problem, but not all.

What you can do is make sure the coop is dry and clean. The chickens should not be sleeping where there are drafts, but it is very important to have good ventilation at the top of the coop, to let moisture escape. Moisture is the big enemy, so don't let it build up in the coop. Remove wet bedding as soon as possible.

I don't think it is a great idea to take the bantams out of the flock because they will struggle to reintegrate when they're brought back.

D'Uccles are pretty hardy. The main cause for concern is frostbite to their combs, as with any breed that has larger single combs. Some hens will tuck their heads in their feathers when they sleep, preventing this problem, but not all.

What you can do is make sure the coop is dry and clean. The chickens should not be sleeping where there are drafts, but it is very important to have good ventilation at the top of the coop, to let moisture escape. Moisture is the big enemy, so don't let it build up in the coop. Remove wet bedding as soon as possible.

I don't think it is a great idea to take the bantams out of the flock because they will struggle to reintegrate when they're brought back.
Thank you for the information! I saw her last night on the coop cam with her head tucked into feathers...looked like maybe under her wing. So i think her comb might be ok. However i did feel a very small draft when i put my hand over her head earlier before closing up. It might be fine, but i could put some type of enclosed basket for her up on the shelf where she has set up. Currently she is sleeping in an open basket i had up there. I did put shavings in it, thinking that might help keep her warmer. I'm glad to know keeping them with the flock best. I think its pretty dry in there because i sweep out the shavings daily and replace them and there is ventilation at top of coop. Thanks again.

Thank you for the information! I saw her last night on the coop cam with her head tucked into feathers...looked like maybe under her wing. So i think her comb might be ok. However i did feel a very small draft when i put my hand over her head earlier before closing up. It might be fine, but i could put some type of enclosed basket for her up on the shelf where she has set up. Currently she is sleeping in an open basket i had up there. I did put shavings in it, thinking that might help keep her warmer. I'm glad to know keeping them with the flock best. I think its pretty dry in there because i sweep out the shavings daily and replace them and there is ventilation at top of coop. Thanks again.
You're welcome. I think everything will be alright, but if you notice problems, post again.

Back
Top Bottom