Adding a Bantam

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
About a week ago i got two japanese bantams to breed. When introducing them to my two isa browns i put them in a cat carrier for the first 24 hours but the hen is getting picked on by my isa browns and shes not getting much food what can i do about this

Big chickens pick on little chickens - sad but true. Provide multiple feeding stations and assure that the bantams are eating. With such a large size difference it may be possible to keep these birds together. Monitor closely to assure that the large fowl do not scalp the bantams.

I have a silkie and an old English game hen with my flock. They are not picked on because they were introduced slowly. Yes they will get a little beat up in the beginning but after they establish their pecking order they all know their place. Just monitor them closely to make sure there is no blood. After a few days to a week they should be fine.

I have a silkie and an old English game hen with my flock. They are not picked on because they were introduced slowly. Yes they will get a little beat up in the beginning but after they establish their pecking order they all know their place. Just monitor them closely to make sure there is no blood. After a few days to a week they should be fine.
It's been ten days since i got them i introduced them slowly but thy are still pecking on her

It's been ten days since i got them i introduced them slowly but thy are still pecking on her
24 hours of 'see not touch' is not slowly, they need more like 2-3 weeks of that before meeting physically.
10 days is not much time either.

The amount of space they have can be very important too.
How big is your coop/run(in feet by feet)?
Pics of coop/run would help here.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Last edited:
24 hours of 'see not touch' is not slowly, they need more like 2-3 weeks of that before meeting physically.
10 days is not much time either.

The amount of space they have can be very important too.
How big is your coop/run(in feet by feet)?
Pics of coop/run would help here.

Read up on integration.....  BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

I am NOT keeping my birds in a cat carrier for 2-3 week it's so cruel 3x as cruel as cage eggs because there two of them in one and they can see the others walking around frealy with room to stretch there wings

I am NOT keeping my birds in a cat carrier for 2-3 week it's so cruel 3x as cruel as cage eggs because there two of them in one and they can see the others walking around frealy with room to stretch there wings
I don't think Aart was suggesting you do. Merely suggesting that a longer introduction period works better. Of course you'd want to figure out a way to separate them with a little more space to move around in. But if you're not able to do that, you're probably going to have to just keep an eye on them, provide multiple feeding and watering stations as Sourland suggested and maybe give them a few hiding places, or make a "safe room" for them to get into through an opening too small for your large fowl to go through. Did you read the link on integration?

Quote: No, I did not mean to keep them in a tiny carrier for 2-3 weeks....that would be cruel...

Yes, you need more space to keep, and especially integrate, birds.....you also need patience and an awareness of bird behaviors.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom