Adding a chick to a mum hen

benjamin123

Songster
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Recently my silkie starting sitting on some eggs so i let her hatch them out. My other hens started to lay next to where she was broody and she would tuck the extra eggs under her. i had marked the eggs to remove the added eggs before they started to mature, i happened to miss a couple that had be tucked under her about 12 days into her sitting. Some lovely chicks appeared and she promptly got off the eggs that were left. i took the half developed eggs and put them in my incubator and 10 days later (today) one chick has hatched out of the two. the main question is can i put this chick with the silkie who is running with the flock (with no trouble) and her two 10 day old chicks? she has strong maternal instincts but is it too late?

Just the one chick. The weather is not too bad at the moment but not warm by any means. the chick is a similar colour to one of her current chicks, since one is jet black and the other is an EE chick. i'll try adding the chick tonight and keep and eye on its progress.

so far so good. she has accepted the chick under her wing and is keeping it warm. lets hope she continues to do so in the light.

What colour are the chicks because chickens notice colour and the hen is more likely to accept new chicks that look similar to the old ones?the biggst issue you will have if she accepts hem is the younger chicks being left behind and needing more warmth because the older chicks will be much more active. If your weather is mild enough it should be OK but I would isolate hen and all chicks for a few days until the new chicks are stronger before letting them mix up with the flock again.

Oh I just realised re read your post and noticed you said there is only one new chick. I hope the hen accepts it.

Back
Top Bottom