Adding a chicken to a one chicken flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Studio2770, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    I got a friend who's family has one chicken. They're considering getting another. Individual chicken personalities aside, would it be best to get add two chickens instead of just one to a flock of one chicken?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Flocks should have at least 3 chickens in case one dies. I'd add two. The new birds though more numerous, will be in new territory. The lone bird should appreciate friends.

3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    That's pretty much what I told my friend. I told him it's best to get more than one for starting out. He said they may add more than one which is what I recommended. Even though they won't be the best of friends at first, like you said, the older one will appreciate it.

4. JeffCain

JeffCain New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    I'm not really replying to the original post. I'm down to one chicken also and was wondering about adding a new chick or chicks. What would be the correct response to this question?

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

If you want your chicken to have company right away, you need to get adult birds, or at least juveniles close to her size. That way they'll stand a chance when the inevitable pecking order scuffles occur. Some will suggest quarantine then getting acquainted through the fence. That's your choice entirely. Even if you choose to separate them for awhile, there will still be some fighting to establish pecking order. If you get chickens from a hatchery or something like that, I wouldn't worry about quarantine. From an auction or show, probably. From a farm where the flock looks healthy and to be in good condition.... that's a draw, I think. Do some research and make your decision from there.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Jeff. I'd recommend that you get 2 new birds instead of just one, as long as you have the room. It'll make integration go much smoother, and if down the road you should loose one, you'll be left with 2 instead of being back to having just one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by