1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding a duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmkat55, Mar 1, 2017.

1. farmkat55

farmkat55 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    South Dakota
    Since I need to try to add another female duck to my pair of Pekins, what suggestions would be good for a breed to add to them? I'd like a docile one that would go good in the mix. Cold and heat tolerant, too. Oh, and that wouldn't fly away! Maybe a heavier breed?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have Appleyards and Buff....They are a heavy Duck and are very docile .....I also have Calls....Mine are great , but do fly a little bit and are a bit more nervous .......

Cheers!

3. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Since you already have Pekins, I definetely wouldn't reccommend smaller breeds such as Calls or BEI, as the Pekin drakes can be very rough when tredding them.

Larger breeds such as Saxonys, Buff Orpington and Silver Appleyards are all known for being docile (and beautiful :)), and would be a good match in size for your existing ducks.

4. farmkat55

farmkat55 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2016
    South Dakota
    Thanks! I'm getting some Buff Orpington chicks this spring and I saw some ducks that had same name...I liked how they looked! Will look up the Appleyards, also.

5. LovelyChicks130

LovelyChicks130 Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan
    I am raising Indian runners and pekins together. They were also raised with guineas. The ducks all get along just fine, a boy and girl in each kind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by