Adding a goose to the flock ?

kyron4

Chirping
Apr 9, 2019
Northern Indiana
We have chickens , a turkey, and down to one duck. I was thinking of adding a goose to help out with the hawks, is it worth it ? I don't want to hear honking all day long or have my grandkid chased, what's a good breed ? I assume females are more docile ? Dog friendly ? Do they really keep the hawks at bay ? Thanks

We have chickens , a turkey, and down to one duck. I was thinking of adding a goose to help out with the hawks, is it worth it ? I don't want to hear honking all day long or have my grandkid chased, what's a good breed ? I assume females are more docile ? Dog friendly ? Do they really keep the hawks at bay ? Thanks
Reasons Why You Shouldn't Keep Just One Goose

I would not add a goose (should never add just ONE).
They won't protect the others as well as a good solid run will.
A good solid run will protect against many kinds of predators, won't honk all day and will never chase a kid. ;)

The only reason to add geese (note that is plural) is if you really want to and are prepared to care for geese.

Most geese are going to be loud, there a few docile breeds but don't expect them to be quiet all of the time. Geese aren't really good guard animals, a rooster would help alert the hens of a hawk better than a goose, They don't chase off predators as others might claim. My gander will sometimes chase/hiss at dogs and people during the breeding season. Never get just one goose.

Back
Top Bottom