Adding a gosling to chicks

I wasn’t looking for a goose 4 weeks ago
But went to get ancona ducklings from a friend and somehow she wasn’t selling her goslings and I wasn’t there to buy one and here I am a new gosling mom
The first week I had to be with her at all times abc slowly I started to leave her more and more
If she sees me she comes running as fast as she can for cuddles
If I sit in the chair she is either at my feet or asking to be on my lap
I know mine is female as she had dna testing done
My mom and dad duck keep to themselves most times in the smaller area of the yard and Stella has taken to hang out with them
Daisy has fully accepted her but peep can still give a little chase here and there
The other 11 ducks do their own thing and don’t really pay attention to her
If they do give her the head nod ( like move away ) she runs away from them
I also have smaller ducklings age 4-5 weeks and Stella tries to nip at them now and then
They can’t be left unattended yet
But she is getting better around them
One thing I have learned having her is they need toys To keep busy
Mine also showed slight sign of angel wing and I got her wrapped immediately
Left on for 4 days and it fixed the issues
Her wings look great now in case this happens to you
If you want a lap bird who will always want to come for a cuddle a goose is the way to go :)
That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience! Funny how some animals end up in our cars when not expected. Hahaha
If they develop a relationship with the chickens when they’re adults or almost adults then yes. If not there could be an issue, geese suffer from anxiety and stress if left alone, it can manifest as terror as goslings because they’re never naturally alone. Mirrors and stuffed animals can help while they’re little.
I have 7 hens outside
4 four week old chicks inside

I am a little confused about meeting as adults. The chickens should be adults? I was planning on putting the gosling with the 4 week old chicks inside. Is this acceptable?

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience! Funny how some animals end up in our cars when not expected. Hahaha

I have 7 hens outside
4 four week old chicks inside

I am a little confused about meeting as adults. The chickens should be adults? I was planning on putting the gosling with the 4 week old chicks inside. Is this acceptable?
Young enough it should be ok but supervise first to make sure

So I decided that this little gosling was not a good fit for me. Embden geese are very large. My little bantam was able to come in and go out as she pleased because she was small. This also allowed me more time with her because she was with me so often.
A smaller breed of goose would be better suited. I do believe such a large breed could end up lonely on those freezing cold, rainy or just too busy days when I am not outside as much. Fluffy would just have a diaper on and follow me all around in the house or just chill with the dogs.
I’ll keep on researching breeds and waiting patiently for the right breed at the ideal time.

Thank you everyone for all the input! I do believe a goose, or geese, will be in my future😁

Back
Top Bottom