1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding a Hen to a Hen Flock (No Roos)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rhino533, May 23, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    How to add a Hen to an only Hen flock? Are Hens less aggressive towards new comers? Is it the same method as adding a new chicken to a normal flock with Roos? Or is it easier because Hens are more excepting?

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I recommend that you do it at night while the others are sleeping.

3. Missymac

Missymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    NY
    Based on my recient experience, using a wire cage to put the new hen(s) in inside of the coop will allow the older chicks to get use to the new comer. I reciently introduced two older pullets into my flock of young pullets and two young roosters. I thought all was well until I found bits of feather here and there and bald spots on the backs of two of my prior chickens. The older two were attacking the younger ones. They seem to be all getting along now, but I had to seperate them for a bit then reintroduce them slowly. I still have 10 chicks to introduce eventually so I am going to try the slow approach with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by