1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

adding a hen to the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bennieb31, Mar 15, 2012.

1. bennieb31

bennieb31 New Egg

Aug 4, 2011
    i have a new pycheon hen that i want to add to my phycheon flock and i have her in with some of my young d'uccles that aren't quite ready to be with a roo yet. i put the new pycheon hen in with the other 2 and the roo and the old hens wasn't happy she was there and picked and was start to get pretty mean with her. then i put in the pen right next to them so they can see her and didn't care about her one bit so i tried the next day to put her in with the pycheon roo and hens and they attacked her again. what can i do to calm the old hens so they don't go crazy when i put the new hen in? i know they need to figure out there peeking order but there were being pretty rough with her. i'm afraid they will kill her. need some help please.

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Let the new hen be in the pen next to them for a few days in a row, maybe a week, THEN try to integrate her. They need to get used to seeing her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by