Adding a hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dixiedoodle, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have a true Ameraucana hen. She seems to have been ousted by the other hens ==while she was broody.. I have 11 Ameraucana chicks that are about 8weeks old.. I want to add her to them, when I move them to their larger home.. WIll she be ok?. I am afraid she isn't eating enough, She is rail thin and is getting pecked on some, she is roosting alone and is never out in the run w/ the other girls.. Tonight, I let them out to free roam for about three hours. She was in the coop and I went and put her out in the yard. She ate until it was so dark, I was having trouble seeing, Then I placed her on the roost.. Any suggestions? Ideas? I could pull her out of the big coop but I am afraid she will feel too lonely and stop eating. The other coop won't be ready for several days... Thank you.. Dixie

2. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    I had one like that, I tried to take one of my nicest hens and buddy them up together but it didn't work. I put mine in another coop and when she is in there she looks for the other hens but when I let her out to mingle she just runs back into the old coop and sits on a roost all day. See what happens when you move the chicks into the big pen. She might actually pick on a few little ones so she's not at the bottom of the order. I'd keep offering her food to make sure she is eating and make sure she is not sick. It's not like a hen to stay out in the dark. Good luck and keep us posted. Go with your gut.

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    She eats like crazy when the big girls are out of the coop... Her poop looks ok--just very green.. I have been feeding lots of greens. No mites or worms.. She was broody for 7 weeks.. Nothing I did would break her...I didn't have any fert. eggs. She just hasn't gain any of her weight back.. Her comb is still very pale.. I also offer free choice 20% protein food in serveal places, oyster shell and grit. They get fresh water 2x's a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by