adding a larger run area to a coop/run combo.....

it has 2 windows and a screen door....do I need to add more ventilation?
Probably. You need to plan on 1 square foot of ventilation that is open 24/7 per chicken, so 5 sf for you. This does not include the people door or the pop door, as those will be closed at some point for security.

The ventilation should be up above the roost, so it's over the birds' heads. This is important in the winter; you don't want an icy draft blowing in on the birds.

A great place to add ventilation are soffits. All openings need to be covered with hardware cloth to keep out predators.

Hello, I am getting a 6x12 coop/run combo and need to add on some additional run space. Would something like premier 1 fencing with netting over the top work during the daytime for some extra space, or do I need to do a hardware cloth enclosure? (the coop & run are 1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth).
Like you, I have a 6x12 coop/run combo which my husband and I built, and 5 chickens I started off with. We just have 1/3 acre so I put up a welded wire enclosure I put up in front of the door opening to the run which adds on an additional 12x24 space. I used t-posts to put it up and criss crossed string across the top to deter hawks which fly over frequently. Made a cute matching gate too.😊. I planted some shrubs for shade and interest. My chickens love hanging out outside in the run. We are getting more chickens since one died so I’m glad I added on the extra space early on.

I would also advise to make a hardware cloth skirt on the coop/run combo. Since it’s so dry directly underneath the coop, my chickens always dust bathe there and in the process, they dig a lot. If there was no skirt, they would dig a hole to the outside! That, or a predator would dig under there easily. I also second the ventilation point. I have hardware cloth openings on all four sides of the coop.

Attachments

• 194A0726-067B-473F-9074-50DE29B17166.jpeg
    194A0726-067B-473F-9074-50DE29B17166.jpeg
    732.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom