adding a new chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by luvmyturkens, Jul 9, 2008.

1. luvmyturkens

luvmyturkens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2008
    I have a California White chick who is approximately 10 weeks old. Can I add her in with the others (2 turkens, 1 silkie bantam, and 1 americauna bantam who were born right before Easter) or should I wait until she is bigger. I know that I probably need to watch her for awhile. She is currently living with the rabbit [​IMG] and I think they might miss each other when she leaves. It's really cute, they sleep together, share their food, and the chick drinks water from the rabbit's bottle. What behaviors should I really watch for when I put them together. Sorry for all the questions, but you know how newbies are [​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    The closer in size she is to the others the better chance of things going well.

I would try it and keep a very close eye on things. When you introduce her do it at night after they've all gone to bed. That way they all wake up together and hopefully think they belong together. But, you do want to be there as close to them waking up as possible so you can watch them and see how things are going. Be ready to intervene and have a Plan B if they don't get along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by