Adding a new chicken

Jeffomatic

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
I have three black Australorp pullets who recently became old enough to lay. And lay they do!! Nearly daily, right off the bat. I had purchased four, with a guarantee that they'd all be female. Well, one was a rooster, so I took him back and traded for a pullet. He wasn't yet mature, but probably close. I had hoped to get a pullet in exchange that was the same age and breed as my others, but the lady had none. I settled for a healthy looking Buff Orpington pullet that's two or three weeks younger than my original three Australorps. She isn't laying yet.

I am seeing that they aren't really accepting the Buff, though.. They peck her a bit and chase her once in a while. She stays apart from them and I'm worried that she isn't going to get adequate feed because they don't accept her. Am I going to have to baby her along, or will they ever accept her into the flock?? She will eventually be bigger than they... I can envision this big buff still being bullied by the others when they are full grown.. Hope not!! Is there any way to remedy this?

Last edited:
as long as she can run when they try to peck at her she will be fine. She is at the bottom of the order so she will be pecked by all three of your hens, but if she can get out of the way & stay out of the way she will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom