Adding a new established flock

RitrosLadies

Hatching
6 Years
5 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Granbury , TX
Hello BYC! I have been reading and studying the site for over a year. This is my first post.
We have had an established flock of 10 (counting our roo) since March of padt year. Sunday we added 7 more ladies in a separate coop and run enclosure that is attached to the existing coop and run(aka Chicken Flock University II).
We let our flock out everyday to play and hunt bugs. I'm keeping the new ladies in for a bit. We plan on combining both and opening the divder that separates the two coop run enclosures. They do get to see and touch each other through the divider. How long should I wait to1. Let them roam free 2. Combine the two? We have never had chickens before last year and we are pretty green . Any help would be appreciated! !

images

Welcome to BYC!

Adding to your flock is best done over time. If you throw new birds into an existing flock, there will be chaos. So this is best done to keep the new flock behind a fenced off area or caged but within the flock. Everybody sees, no body touches. Leave these new birds in this fenced area for about 3 weeks. Not only does this give them quarantine time, but it allows the existing flock to work some of the pecking order out behind the wire. After about 3 weeks, you can mix them all together. Generally things go fairly smooth with little aggression. Always watch closely on mixing day and throughout that first week. Always intervene if it turns bloody.

Since you are letting your existing flock roam free in the yard now, the new birds will follow the flock when they are let out to range in a few weeks.

Good luck with your flock! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Nice set up for combining flocks smoothly! X4 TwoCrows gave you some great advice.

Its been a week and a day. So far, its going smoothly. Only minor altercations through the fence. The new flock run to the gate every time I come to let out the original flock. Its been tough , but, I have managed to keep the wife from letting them out. They are laying well enough (4-6 outta 7 per day). Still not a friendly as my ladies. In due time Im sure they will come around to my charm. Thanks again for the advice 2 crows!

Back
Top Bottom